Advice/Help - Rough idle, oil deposits....

Hello All,

Looking for opinions and advice if possible....

My car has always had a rough idle, but now it has got pretty bad, struggling around 500rpm... Also it struggles to start...

There is also a strong exhaust like smell when running... Worse than usual anyway.

One thing I noticed was a bit of smoke coming out of the mini breather filter on the rocker cover a couple of days ago... Then I checked today and there are blobs of oil and spray on the rocker cover, and oil pooling in the rubber seals of the HT leads either side of the filter...

Car drives ok though when I'm moving, pulls wells, boosts well etc...

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Edited by Sherb87

I'm hoping it is something simple. I will check compression at the weekend.

I am going to check the PCV, breathers etc later as I'm pretty sure if they are blocked, that would cause the pressure to build and come out of the breather filter in excessive fashion!

Removed the dip stick, no change in idle. However smoke came out of the dipstick tube. I also I unscrewed the oil cap, which I had to hold down otherwise it would have blown off... Definitely excessive pressure in there!

Edited by Sherb87

First thing to note was the PCV wasn't moving, now it 'rattles' when I shake it... So it may have been stuck closed. Valve is definitely opening and closing now I have cleaned it out. (I don't have a new one available).

All back together and cleaned out... Gained 200rpm on idle, no smoke, no oil coming out the breather.... Took it for a drive, pulled over to check - no smoke, or oil...... Got home and checked again.... Smoke and oil present again, bollocks!!! Thought I had solved it. :-(

eliminate the possibility of ringland failure before you start chuck more money at it !

Yeh, will do mate.

Doing the compression test shortly, will report back with a clean sweep of healthy readings later :D ha!

Just looking into rebuild options, and to what extent of a rebuild? Just repair the one cylinder? Get it back on the road.... Or full rebuild. It had a full rebuild about 7 years ago, I've got a 1k+ invoice from Toyota genuine parts for all the bits (assuming the owner at the time had it built!!).

Just looking into rebuild options, and to what extent of a rebuild? Just repair the one cylinder? Get it back on the road.... Or full rebuild. It had a full rebuild about 7 years ago, I've got a 1k+ invoice from Toyota genuine parts for all the bits (assuming the owner at the time had it built!!).

Basic refresh, new bottom end bearings, new rings, have the head cleaned up and skimmed. A good engine builders wont charge over the moon.

Basic refresh, new bottom end bearings, new rings, have the head cleaned up and skimmed. A good engine builders wont charge over the moon.

If only I knew a good engine builder locally....

I can probably borrow a car in the short term while I decide what's going on!