1e gearbox swap 4speed to 5speed

hello fellow starleteers im back recently i luckily got my GT rep back the other day and have been using it for

travelling back and forth to work my only issue is its a 4speed box great for town driving but a nightmare long distance

i know ill need gearbox drives hubs and front brake setup can i use ep91 parts or will i have to use ep80 1e parts

gearbox i have Colin has no cups i thought my gearbox would have an inner cv joint like boxy starlets do seems its more like the ep91 style cups and tri pod shafts so my cups in theory should just pop into the gearbox

Not in theory, fact. You drives will fit corolla gearbox, Levin gearbox, 5 speed ,6 speed, lsd.

Not to confuse things though, any gearbox bolted to an e series engine should be a direct swap into yours once you use your mounts if they are different.

Cheers Richard it was more the drives I was wondering if they would work I came across a boxy starlet and instead of a tripod setup on them on inner part and 2 cups in the box

they had a inner cv joint like outside drive and to remove them the whole drive including part that goes into gear box had to be pulled out in one go

Well no they actually don't, there is a inside that you remove and 6 ball bearings fall out. Basically the same as in cup and joint just different design on the joint.

Info from: owned them all and tried many different gearboxes and engines in them all lol

ah right i just never came across a drive like it before in all my time of owning starlets well hopefully Saturday will see the 5speed in the car fingers crossed and good bye 4 speed gearbox

Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow so won't be staring to drop gear box out

I agree all 4 speed boxes should be scrapped the day they were made

Seems though the hotrod lads love them