Ep91 sr starter issues.

So if I don't fix this issue I'm just gonna end up having an ep91 shaped bonfire, because I'll set the b*****d alight if it keeps this up. So please someone tell me what I'm missing?

Had starting issues with my ep91 sr a few months back, would bump start fine, however the car wouldn't crank, I can just hear a 'tick' behind the glovebox when you turn the key (I'm assuming that's the location of the starter relay).

So I've had this issue with a few other cars before generally it's a starter solenoid, so I bought a rebuild kit and swiftly changed it over, after the install I bench tested the starter with a battery and some jump leads and it spun up first time. Result, or so I thought.

Having reinstalled it, it still won't turn over, or even engage the solenoid, so I assume the battery is probably a bit low, so I've changed that over, still no luck.

I tried jump starting off a running car (delivering 14.4v) still nothing.

So next port of call was to check the live, trigger wire, and the earths off the motor, all seem fine, including the trigger wire that's delivering 12v when the key is turned.

Next I decided to add three fair sized (4 gauge) earth straps off the battery to various places across the engine, body and one directly onto the bolts that hold the starter, (hoping to give it the best chance of earthing) plus another cable of the same size from the battery to the positive on the starter. Still nothing.

I've checked all fuses, I've tried a spare key (thinking it may be some form of immobilisation) still nothing.

What am I missing?

Apart from petrol and matches.

The changed the relay itself?

Have you changed the ecu at all? Not sure how the immobiliser works but if its registered ecu to keys then it wont work.

If its not in the ecu there might be a box under the dash to do with the immobiliser causing the issue.

I haven't changed the relay itself as there's 12v coming out of it when you turn the key, and 12v arriving at the starter when you turn the key also.

Hadn't thought of changing the ecu, haven't got a spare to try however, I may have a go at changing the relay just in case it's not delivering the amps required, but short of that, all I can think of is bypassing the key and fitting a starter button and running all new cables and relay to make it fire.

The car aslo has a cobra cat 1 alarm, however it only cuts the fuel, not the ability to turn the engine over, so it can't be that.

Is the starter system in any way linked through any other circuits? Knowing what toyotas like it's probably linked to something retarded.

Edited by scutch0

I'm sure I tried a corolla ecu on my old 4efe starlet and it wouldn't run :(

Any wiring diagrams floating about of the ep91 n/a?

I don't really want to rip the loom apart, but I'm almost out of options...

Just unplug relay also change...

And disconect starter... i had same issue even after buying new starter... clean all terminals.. reconnect... and was fine and still is... i had 12v source right to the starter... starter worked out the car fine..

Musta been a connection somewhere either relay or starter... worth a check

• 3 weeks later...

I had an issue with my key on my sr, there immobilisers cut ignition not fuel there is a box behind the glove box and a amplifier on the ignition barrel and a plug on the ring around the barrel make sure there all good to