right, im looking to uprade from my td04 setup, currently running 281hp, want to crack 300+ have been doing a bit of research and have pretty much decided on a td05 of sorts. does anyone have any experience with a billet wheel td05 20g? anyone want to share their experiences on the subject? cheers!

A 20g on a 1.3 will be laggy as it gets really.

A 16g will crack 300bhp

A VF24 is the best of both worlds, ie will do 300 and isnt much more laggy than a td04.

Theres a vf22 on here for sale atm, thats about the biggest VF you can get, and its a ceramic BB :)

Edited by daniel_g

I had either an 18g or a 20g on my classic wrx about 4 year ago now and that was laggy on a 2L.

On a 1.3 youd probably get pretty much fuck all till over 5k rpm.

Td05 are old school journal bearing turbos, for quick spool you ideally want a BB.

Saying that td05s are strong, can be pushed to 1.6bar plus and be reliable.

Most VFs are BB and you arent ment to push them more than 1.4bar. Generally speaking.

But then again ive seen scoobie lads at Crail wind the boost up on standard BB VFs to nearly 2bar for the odd run.

Its just what youre willing to risk and what you want from the car :)

Jamie on here maxed his 22 out sub 350 i do believe.

If you get a T3 flanged mani then theres all sorts of big turbo options, precision, borg warner, garrett, holset aswell.

Pretty much all they'll be good for is lag lag lag... boooooost!

Twin scroll is another option :)

I had an 20g boost use to kick in after 5k so pretty laggy i would say an vf35 or greddy td05 16g

i'd suggest vf35,,,stock td05...vf34...vf28 for what you mentioned power wise and as these are for the most part direct swaps...these turbos will get you 300/350bhp depending on the mods (as seen on the power learderboard)

avoid the vf22,,,its the biggest laggiest sub turbo out there....even on a 2000cc sub its laggy

Twin scroll VF35 good for 380hp and wouldn't be laggy like all above

did this turbo come twin scroll? or is this a mod to the stock vf35?

If you wanted 300hp a good specced billet wheel td04 should do it

cheers guys, to be honest for the sake of changing setups for an extra 20hp im thinking to aim for mid 300's just to get it out of my system lol

Theres a vf22 hybrid with an vf34 housing for sale on here looks interesting http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/103533-vf22-turbo-stage-3/

it says it uses a vf34 compressor housing.....If it still has the stock p20 exhaust housing which is the biggest one, it may be laggy

the vf34 has a P18 exhaust housing....but is BB, so better spooling

the vf35 has P15 exhaust housing...but is JB, so only spools a tad better than the vf34

True what you are saying but will probably spool better than an TD05

from what i've seen...the td05 will noticeably outspool the stock vf22 on a sub

and actually, the td05 spool is fairly decent on a 5e tuned properly,,,very similar to vf35 and vf34

for an old turbo, i really cant fault the td05...it takes a pounding and survives

On a 16g though? 20g is lagatron.

good point daniel g....when i refer to the td05, i strictly mean the stock subaru td05 16g

the stock td05 has 0.48 ar exhaust housing, which by my research is slightly smaller than the vf35 P15 which equates to 0.51 ar...i think the vf34 P18 is around 0.64 and the vf22 P20 about 0.73....i would have to dig up my research to confirm...and i did a LOT of research on subaru turbos and combinations over the last 10 years lol

by logic, the 18g/20g should be laggier than the 16g----unless maybe billet wheels and other turbo internal work is done

Edited by gorganl2000
  • 2 weeks later...

The strong td05’s come from the older evo’s, the td05h’s, very robust turbo’s, but requires different manifold. A factory td05 16g is a great all round reliable turbo, best turbo for fast road street imo and will net 300hp. They do some real fancy one's now if you look. The Tomei turbo's are currently on sale which are superrrb imo.

You can't go much wrong with a VF setup like a 24, 28, 29, 30, 34. The A/R size of the exhaust turbine housings on the Japanese turbos are labelled in metric (mm), so for example a P18 equals to 0.71 inch using conversion 18 divide 25.4 (mm to inch). I would not recommend a smaller turbine housing on a 4E or 5E then a P18. It’s not like you will not make 300hp from a P15 housing, but you will be restricting flow up top and will have to go conservative on the tune because of high egt's when you push boost pressure ratio to reach target hp and y'all know a 4E, 5E can easily spin to 7 - 8k rpm. Apologies I don’t talk garrett :unknw: