Fizbne's 1998 EP91 Toyota Turdlet

Yo.

I am Fizbne. Or Haris, if you will. I'm a regular on MX5Nutz, and the Mighty5s.com MX5 Forum. I'm also an admin on the somewhat infamous MX5Nutz Facebook page. It's terrible.

Anyways, I digress.

I'm a car nut from London, UK but on a working holiday in 'straya and currently living in Brisbane. Long story short, here till Jan, needed a runaround, but being a petrolhead, it needed to be somewhat interesting. Now I've always wanted a Starlet, even the crap NA one. I dunno why. They just look SO CUTE AND HAPPY YES AHAHAHAHA. But that's about it really. Well, they obviously must have good chassis as well for Toyota to make the Glanza V's etc. I never did bother getting one, as insurance for a new driver in the UK for anything over 0.2l is silly. So, many years later and on the other side of the world I found a MINT EP91 for cheap with Rego / Roadworthy (Tax / Test), and bought it without seeing it.

I found the car on Gumtree, and thought I'd give the owner a ring and speak to him. His story was that he has a baby coming along, and just needs rid of the car as it's not being used much. He was also very honest on the phone, as he mentioned a small car park accident resulting in a damaged front wing and Driver side door, which were consequently replaced with second hand items. The driver doors gives a bit of a *CLUNK* when closing, but other than that, it's pretty sound. I might have a go at re-aligning it but it's not so much of a bother. Also, it had a timing belt done 10k kms ago, and the oil and coolant was done very recently as well. Sounds like a winner to me!

The temptation to send the guy a deposit there and then was tempting but that's kinda dumb, and I know I can be very irrational and make dumb decisions without really thinking first so I did the boring grown-up adult thing and sent a trustworthy friend to go see the car, who promptly called me back after the viewing and told me to "FUCKING BUY IT NOW HARIS YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW CLEAN THIS FUCKING CAR IS CUNNNT".

I sent the guy a deposit, and picked it up the day I landed in Brisbane, ahaha.

Without further Mountain Dew, I give ye.

The Turdlet (1998 Toyota Starlet LIFE) - Excuse the shite mobile cam pics lols.

IMG20161203222709_zpsey0srypy.jpg

IMG20161203222639_zpsasbjwm1r.jpg

IMG20161203222652_zpseobaw8yt.jpg

This was evening 1 of car ownership and was taken just after I picked up the car :3 - I treated The Turdlet with 98 Octane V-Power for the lols and have been using it for the last two tanks as well. It's cheap, and, yer. I probably need all the octanes I can get because it's SO SLOW.

Day 2:

IMG20161204101701_zpsaoewji4m.jpg

ohh my god!! so happy :3

So, what's under the hood bro? You ask? Unfortunately, it's not the boosted 4EFTE that comes in the GlanzaV, but it is the peasant spec 4EFE N/A engine for great honour.

Specs of this engine are somewhat, uh. Crap. See below for copy pasta from Wiki:

"The 4E is a 1.3 L (1,331 cc) DOHC version. Bore was 74 mm and stroke 77.4 mm. Output ranged from 81 hp (60 kW) at 6,400 rpm to 99 hp (74 kW) at 6,600 rpm with 81 lb·ft (110 N·m) of torque at 3,600 rpm to 86 lb·ft (117 N·m) of torque at 4,000 rpm. It appeared in 1989, and was discontinued after 1998. The 4E engines appeared in fuel-injected applications."

Incredulous!

Although I believe I may have the Third Variant of this engine which has an estimated output of a pathetic 82BHP. Lame.

It's also somewhat non-standard as well, it's currently sporting Pedders Lowering springs, Maxxis tyres (Not sure what model of Maxxis, but they're not too bad), A Pioneer Bluetooth Head-Unit and upgraded speakers all round although the rears in the parcel shelf aren't plugged in, so I'll get those hooked up for honourable rear noise glory!

The sensible me is telling me to keep it standard. But, I already did a sensible, so no.

So far, I've put on stickers... Aaaaaand that about it.

IMG20161206174624_zpsmbfv3ia9.jpg

Am I JDM yet?

Below is a separate update, but I might as well squeeze it in here...

Day 3 is when modding started. Super srs sick modding for reals.

Looking at the intake system I noticed that, unlike MX5's there was so MAF, or AFM. Could it be? It has MAP sensor? IT IS BE!!!

INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODY MODS.

OR IF YOU WILL 1TB MODS.

IMG20161209193452_zps0mjxumm1.jpg

AHAHAHAHHAAH 1TB. DONE. BWOP BWOP

CLICK FOR 1TB ENGINE VIDEO
http://vid1189.photobucket.com/albums/z421/fizbne/Turdlet/media_upload1481358820308_zpshabviiab.mp4

YH IT GOES BWOP BWOP BWOOOOOOOOOP

Time for a drive, ohh my god!! when it hits like 4K RPM the Cam noise is FILTHY AHAHAHAHAHA. BWAAAAAAAAAAA BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Incredibly skilled Touge battle 2nd - 3rd gear pulls. Probably. I don't really remember.

http://vid1189.photobucket.com/albums/z421/fizbne/Turdlet/received_10211409953708325_zpscdzyhqc0.mp4

http://vid1189.photobucket.com/albums/z421/fizbne/Turdlet/received_10211409967548671_zpshjfgmkhm.mp4

Obviously running without a filter is a bad idea, especially in Aus. It can get rather dusty and a Huntsman might be feeling cold and want to enter a cylinder or something. So what would one do if they have a sick 1TB / ITB setup like mine?

IMG20161210235111_zpssbr8btlv.jpg

IMG20161210235320_zpshpdxew5g.jpg

Filter sock OBVIOUSLY.

In all seriousness, it could be all placebo but without all that teeny tiny intake piping it really feels a lot more punchier at higher RPM's. There's no Tacho in the car, however I'm assuming between what is 4-6.5k(limiter I think?) the car pulls a lot stronger with the sick 1TB mod, and also the throttle response is instant! It's super fun to drive, but without proper filtration, I'd probably end up sucking in a Huntsman spider so this was short lived.

I put the stock airbox back on, but not without cleaning all the pre-air filter intake piping as there was SO MUCH caked on dust, and the airbox has quite a few dead bugs and crap, including a rather sizeable cockroach who wanted to become one with an internal combustion engine, but alas, a paper filter (which mind you, is looking rather in need of being replaced) thwarted it's dreams of turning in to an exploded.

IMG20161212225239_zpskiunb8bd.jpg

Say hi to Christopher the Cockroach. Who has been dead for what seems quite a lengthy while.

So yer, washed it all out, let it dry, and put it back on until I find a suitable sized pod filter to stick on the end of the throttle body.

OH, and also, the stupid Airbag light is on, and the horn isn't working so I've sourced a new Airbag steering wheel that someone with a Glanza S Rep will be helping me install

Other than that, not much else to report. I still need to source a timing light to advance the ignition a couple of degrees or so to unleash this untapped power I have heard so much of. Lol.

I've actually found a 55mm Foam dirt bike filter that I'd assume would plonk right on the end of the throttle body. Has anyone actually done a TB Filter setup without any long intake piping? If so, how did you find it drove, did you lose power or anything? Or all good.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/UNIFILTER-Pod-Filter-Foam-Air-Filter-Dirt-Bike-Motorbike-Roadbike/302036533327?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&_trksid=p2050601.c100103.m2451&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35909%26meid%3D70a2a63e357e4eadb492f3518bcab5ff%26pid%3D100103%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D141884724191%26clkid%3D1274130078247245097&_qi=RTM2010742

It's pretty cheap as well. I think it also comes with A STICKEEREER!

I'm tempted to do it, and make a cheap-ish Cold Air feed from the front grill to wear the stock airbox is to help with the intake temp.

So, that's it for today UK Starlet guys.

Also g'mornin!