anyone had a scoob?

hi guys i want some real world advice on scoobs from previous owners if there are any.

are running costs and maintenence really that horrific compared to a modified glanza?

talking about a standard blobeye sti 280-300bhp maybe a few little mods but nothing daft.

would love a classic but guessing they take a lot more looking after.

Edited by richglanzav
  • 6 months later...

Probably a little late now.. but I own a 2002 blob eye WRX (non-sti) that's been modded with the following:

-VF30 (replaced the factory TD04HL)

- STi Pink injectors

- STi intercooler

Full dyno tune.

I bought this car knowing it had far too many owners before me (5+) but I took  the gamble and got quite lucky. I'd say it really depends on the service history + how the car has been treated. 

I'd put a lot of love into my Scooby and have quite a reliable and very fun car to drive. 

In New Zealand, we get the JDM imports, so they'er all tuned for 100+ RON petrol and up until recently, the best fuel available in my area was BP 98, so for us, a re-tune is the best thing to do.

As above, if it's been looked after the costs aren't that horrific.  I used to own a gen 4 twinscroll Legacy and I currently own an 02 JDM WRX that's been hit with the modding stick.  Both return fairly good MPG (for a 2.0 turbo).  Parts prices aren't that bad and most stuff is easily available.  In all the time I owned the Legacy, the only thing that went wrong was an O2 sensor.  I can't really comment on the WRX yet as I've only owned it for about a month :D, but it has been VERY well looked after by it's Japanese owner and so far it all seems solid enough for a 17 year old car. 

Oh, don't be put off by the horror stories - they're not really that difficult to work on yourself if you feel inclined.