Cranking but will not start? Any help welcome!

Gents, hoping someone on here can help.

I have a 99 Starlet Glanva V that is turning over but will not start.

It's been out of action for a few weeks as I was doing some bits and bob's to it during the isolation.

Since its ran last I've done the following in or around the engine bay:
- New rocker cover gasket
- New engine hardware
- New braided fuel hose
- New fuel filter
- New silicone hoses
- New PCV valve and grommet
- New thermostat
- New engine and gearbox mounts

Halfway through changing the hardware which was the last thing I did, I started the car up and it ran for a few seconds but it didn't sound great so I shut it off.

I finished up the last few bits the next day and when I went to start it it would crank but would not start.

I started to diagnose and try and find the issue. I disconnected the new braided fuel line at the rail and cranked the car and fuel was flowing so no issues in that regard.

I then turned took out the spark plugs and cleaned them in case they were flooded from the cranking, put them back in and still no good.

I had noticed a few places on the leads were a bit worn so I decided to buy a few more bits and continue the process of elimination:
- New magnecor 8.5mm leads
- New iridium spark plugs (0.8 gap)
- New distributor cap
- New rotor arm

Still the car would not start. As a last chance saloon I changed out all the fuses in the fuse box and cleaned up earths and changed them back from the new hardware to the original in case they were causing any issues.

Still noting. I'm at my wits end so if anyone can think of anything I've missed or overlooked please say so!

Just a final note, I got a toad alarm Ai606 installed when I got the car imported but I don't believe its causing any issues, when it is imobolised there is a red like on my dash and the car does not crank at all, press a button on the keys to turn off the immobiliser, light goes off, car cranks.

If not, any recommendations or garages in west london (based in ealing)?

You’ve said you’ve cleaned the plugs, but have you confirmed they’re sparking when cranking? 

Its usually timing related if you have fuel and spark.

Any fault codes from the EML?

5 minutes ago, tomfahy30 said:

I'll do a check to see if they are sparking tomorrow 👍

EML is on but I haven't ever done a check on the fault codes so I need to read up on how to do this.

Cheers for the reply.

All explained here :) 

Check your base timing too.

If you’re still struggling you could take the car to Perfect Touch in Enfield.

My company is based in their workshop so can get it sorted with them. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...