CAP paddle clutch, and flywheel help

yet again my clutch is playing up. its been doing it on and off for about 4 months. its fine one minute, i do one bad launch and have to slip the clutch a little and it then slips every time i boost for about a week........and then goes back to normal again with no slipping :p i dont get it.

any one know what the issue may be, surely if ive burnt the clutch out then it would not recover and go back to normal???

to solve the problem im thinking a CAP paddle clutch. ive heard good reviews and the price is cheap enough. any opinions on this clutch?

this clutch will not come with a flywheel. is it possible that its my flywheel thats damaged and this clutch will not solve my problem?

would people recoment a lightend flywheel for street use?

any info is good as this is stressing my head.

thanks keiran.

Hey mate,

I have a CAP paddle clutch which I bought because my old clutch was slipping. Went up to see the mechanic when he had the old one out, and the clutch plate itself was in great condition! But he showed me how the cover plate was badly worn and the flywheel had tonnes of high spots, so he said the slipping I was feeling wasn't the clutch plate but rather the worn pressure and flywheel plate which was allowing the clutch to spin freely without being held. When I got home I checked receipts that I got with the car, and the previous owner had bought a new clutch plate but hadn't replaced the pressure plate/release bearing, so they had probably been in the car since 1994 lol.

Anyway, the mechanic sent off my flywheel to be skimmed and as you know the CAP clutch comes with a new cover plate, its been in well over a month and I don't have a single complaint. Easy to drive, holds the power well, doesn't slip at all. Cost me £130 delivered from www.capclutch.com - that price cannot be beaten tbh. I say go for it mate!

Cheers :) Yeah, you should start selling these! Very good clutches for the money ! I know you need margins for profit, which is ofcourse fair, just don't do what speedvision does and add another £80+ ontop of the price direct from CAP...its madness! lol :p

He says that the ones he sells are slightly different and have a greater clamping force, but when I contacted CAP and asked them what clutch they do for a Starlet they told me the MR2 one linked above...surely if they did make slightly altered ones just for a Starlet they would've told me...hence why I'm wary of Speedvision's clutches...

• 1 month later...
yeah sorry lol. The starlet clutch is actually an MR2 clutch. I personally e-mailed CAP and asked what clutch fits a starlet, and it is this one: http://capclutch.com/mr24cyl16l86.html It was a perfect fit and is rated for 265lb/ft torque.

Ace! Thanks for that info! I was comtemplating getting this clutch. Cheaper than Speedvision too!! :lol:

bump again, any one else using CAP clutch on glanza. need know its 100% direct fit. are ep91 ep82 clutches the exact same?

I believe so yes. My CAPs been in for nearly 3 months now, and its lovely :) I ordered direct from capclutch.com as well, was £130ish delivered ;) Everything fitted; clutch plate, cover and release bearing all went in fine according to the mechanic...Great price eh! lol

i know mate, i 100% comited to buying one but then they wouldnt except my card! thought maybe it was a sign! so just want to be 100% sure its gonna be a good fit.

i gotta get my bro to order it for me on his credit card.

did you get charged any import tax mate?

No I luckily didn't, but ofcourse its not guaranteed! But even with tax I'm sure it would be less than what Speedvision charges (£205 iirc).

The product code is 16-055HPS just to make sure you're doubly sure :) lol

• 4 weeks later...

what power are they rated for montanr. not trying to copy you in every way with the car but as your allways 1 step ahead of me and i speak to you from time to time and meet up if you would recomend a new clutch and have used it for a while as im looking for a new one and dunno what the hell im looking at as i never really looked into clutches b 4 lol i suppose i could get this one. mine is fooked at the moment every day it gets worse lol. i can get into gear but off the lights i have hardly any bite and have to hold it on the bite point and it feels horrible like im burning it out. so i dunno what that problem is as it happened in my last car. but i dont get it sliping when planting it in gear. is there 2 different issues with clutches ? slipping and no bite if so would i not need to replace the whole thing and its something else?

anyone out there if you could drop some knowledge that would be great

Yo,

Its rated for 265 lb/ft torque...I made 180lb/ft at 1Bar so its fine! Has never ever slipped since I've had it in and its pretty easy to drive with, just a bit juddery! And it cost £130 delivered! Good clutch in my opinion mate!

• 1 month later...

i have not received this now and its pissing me off. it says its at customs on the tracker number.

what can i do as i dont know where that woudl be nor do i have any post to reply and pay the god damn charges.