How 2: Remove And Replace The Boot/Petrolcap Catch

To brighten up your cabin, this is a cheap and easy modification that isn't over the top and isn't un-noticeable.

I bought a Toyota Supra (1996) boot release catch for £13 delivered to my home. Very cheap and im pleased with the look, it is much better made and the labels are painted on instead of stickers.

You will need :

10mm socket

12-13mm socket

ratchet

your hands.

Here is a list of the steps you take to fit it. (scroll further for photograph assistance)

1. Remove kick panel, drivers seat and seat belt anchor.

2. Pull your carpet back so you can easily see the leads that feed along the side to go to the boot/petrol cap.

3. Un-fasten the small 10mm bolt that is on the footwell side of the seat chassis bulge.

4. Pull the lever mechanism slowly through the larger hole at the back of the bulge (the wires side).

5. Pull black wire out of the socket and slide wire along untill the small silver bit of soulder pops out and place this straight into the other boot lever socket (e.g into the supra socket)(this is to avoid confusion).

6. Use the same process as step 5 on the red wire, and place into the petrol cap release socket.

At this stage you are all wired up and the boot lever should work, it worked first time for me.

7. File the wider hole slightly if you have a supra boot release catch as it is just a tiny bit larger to go through the hole.

8. Slide the mechanism lever - first through the hole.

9. Bolt the levers in loose so you can twist it to a suited position (e.g. upright and not sideways as such) (i just leveled mine out to make it neater)

10. Place carpet back to original position and then place the seats, seatbelt anchor and kickplate back into place.

Picture assistance

1 & 2.

Remove kick panel, drivers seat and seat belt anchor.

Pull your carpet back so you can easily see the leads that feed along the side to go to the boot/petrol cap.

72_DSC01807_1.jpg

Un-fasten the small 10mm bolt that is on the footwell side of the seat chassis bulge.

72_DSC01808_1.jpg

Pull the lever mechanism slowly through the larger hole at the back of the bulge (the wires side).

72_DSC01809_1.jpg

5 & 6.

Pull black wire out of the socket and slide wire along untill the small silver bit of soulder pops out and place this straight into the other boot lever socket (e.g into the supra socket)(this is to avoid confusion).

72_DSC01811_1.jpg

Slide the mechanism lever - first through the hole.

72_DSC01817_1.jpg

(obvious)

Place everything back.

72_DSC01823_2.jpg

Good Luck

Galliano