What should be the next performance mod for the N/A after the corolla manifold?

I'll be getting a rolla mani in a few weeks hopefully, and this week when I do a service on the car it will have decent spark plugs, leads, etc...

From what I hear the standard airbox is better or just as good as an open filter, so I'll leave that for now.

Exhaust seems to be the next logical thing, but I don't think I'll be wanting a loud exhaust, not my sort of thing really. I've been told a decat on the standard exhaust will probably sound shit, so I'm unsure what to do.

Eventually I'll be aiming for 100bhp...

firstly sort the breathing, a Carbon closed induction kit with a direct air feed will do wonders on that side with the Rolla mani

Then I would uprate the exhaust system starting off by getting a cat back system and eventually decatting it and a 4-2-1 manifold for a nice gain in torque

Should be close to the three figure mark with these mods, then you can advance the timing a little bit to open it up a bit more

Then fueling is the issue, Rich has just put bigger injectors in his n/a Starlet, pretty sure they made a nice gain, then you could get a Fuel pressure regulator or an Apexi SAFC II TO control the amount of fuel

Hope this helps a little

Cheers sparky, I thought about the BMC CDA, with the air feed somewhere in the front.

For the exhaust, I've seen a few like the Blitz catback, but it's £500, which to me looks f**king expensive and it's not even stainless steel apart from the backbox or something like that.

I saw a topic a while ago with 4-2-1 manifolds, might grab one of those... (this here http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index....showtopic=11489 )

And for injectors, would Glanza S injectors be good enough?

Just incase I decide to go a bit further, what would the next steps be after this? Lightened+balanced flywheel and lightweight pulleys/crank etc... ?

And after that I'd guess cams, but obviously would need a new ECU...

Right get a nice induction kit, don't care what people say about heat soak if you get a nice amount of cold air to it, it will be fine. Exhaust - decat is a nice mod to broaden the torque range, to keep it quiet get a nice middle box with a quiet back box. Keep the diameter as close as possible to the standard.

With these mods remember to reset the ECU it helps :lol:

Next up - 4-2-1 manifold would be nice, again it broadens the torque range and HP is reletive to torque.

Lightening everything doesn't realy increase HP it just frees the Revving of the engine (ok it may help WHP).

Cams you may not need an ECU, but you may need to adjust the ignition timeing if duration is affected and you have advanced or retarded them.

Slightly bigger injectors. GLanza S are like +20cc

With that your looking at possibly 120-125 HP

Could then upgrade to a 5E Block

Then you could look at an ECU to get all this to work in harmony and maybe see gains of 10 hp maybe...

Then after that decide whether you wan N/A or Forced Induction

N/A - Throttle Bodies maybe 140hp if your lucky :wub:

Forced - Turbo (Ct9 would be good with the higher compression I reckon) 150+hp

Thanks Rich :lol:

I have actually considered keeping the 4EFE, and not going for the 5E or forced induction.

But it's just a matter of cost really, as I'm guessing you already know there's only so far you can go with it before you can't get any more out of it, and somewhere along the line it gets to the point where you're paying hundreds just for a small increase...

Couple of questions to clear it up though -

You said:

Slightly bigger injectors. GLanza S are like +20cc

Is that a good thing or not? Would they be ok?

What would be the best thing to do with the exhaust, because the only custom exhaust makers round here are powerflow, and we all know what their reputation is... so I'd be really hesitant to go there.

Well the Glanza S injectors feel a bit better but that could all be a placebo, so will need to get it dynoed again. To be honest bigger injectors will not do much at all unless you've got more air going in i.e. Corrolla/Glanza S manifold ported and polished head, manifold, TB. Too bigger injectors will lose you power as you want it running the best air fuel ratio.

Powerflow arn't that bad, its just where you get it done. At first the bloke treated my like an imbosile but then I got to know him and he does a good job.

There are a few places to read up on this, check out jezza's thread on austarletclub.com.

Thanks again Rich, I'll have a look at that then.

Last few things before I start looking too far into the future then realise this isn't going to happen for atleast a good 5-6 months :lol:

Does anyone know who currently has the most powerful 4EFE, or what's been got out of one before without it going bang?

Oh and I almost forgot - is this going to affect insurance in a big way? Let's say I go for 125bhp - that's a 66% increase from standard, which sounds like quite alot to me.

Insurance somewhat depends on the insurer and whats been done and what you deem is "standard" :wub:

As for the most powerfull I don't really know, no-one will I don't think. But 4e-fe's are way over built in standard form, if you check the aussies they bolt turbos onto them and they've been running for many 1000's of km. :lol:

Sticking with N/A I don't think they will go bang if you look after them with regular maintanance. I would like to see someone push the boundaries of whats possible with a 1.3...

Oh its also a wise Idea if sticking with N/A to go for a closer ratio box like the 6 speed.

Insurance somewhat depends on the insurer and whats been done and what you deem is "standard" :wub:

As for the most powerfull I don't really know, no-one will I don't think. But 4e-fe's are way over built in standard form, if you check the aussies they bolt turbos onto them and they've been running for many 1000's of km. :lol:

Sticking with N/A I don't think they will go bang if you look after them with regular maintanance. I would like to see someone push the boundaries of whats possible with a 1.3...

Oh its also a wise Idea if sticking with N/A to go for a closer ratio box like the 6 speed.

I have considered this, seeing as I have no ties for where my money goes, I don't really spend money on anything, so it can all go on the car. But to be honest I doubt anything "serious" would happen with it for a while yet.

I thought the standard 5 speed box was best for the N/A?

Its better than the GT/Glanza box as it is shorter, but the six speed is shorter still which means better acceleration but top end will suffer. But if you get get it sorted so power is going to 8K rpm or something that would make it nice and usable :lol:

The 4efe runs fairly cold (as Rick pointed out to me) so 8k wouldn't do any damage I wouldn't of thought. You will need to change the Valve spring and maybe rod bolts though.

With the setup Im running at the moment 6.2k rpm is way to short. 7k would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

in simple terms....more air + more fuel = power...most of the best mods have already been mentioned etc so i cant really add anything....

also, about, how you want to see what someone can do with an n/a...Joz's will be good to look at when its finished, although its a 5E, and im gonna see what i can get out of the 4e with these throttle bodies, and safc tune etc.

Also about them S injectors, im still not convinced they are bigger...as when i looked at them side by side, the standards looked larger, i think its to do with that the Glanza S runs @ a different fuel pressure, like scutch0 suggested...also, look at getting some corolla ones instead.

• 3 weeks later...
Also about them S injectors, im still not convinced they are bigger...as when i looked at them side by side, the standards looked larger, i think its to do with that the Glanza S runs @ a different fuel pressure, like scutch0 suggested...also, look at getting some corolla ones instead.

I know thats a bit of an old post but the more I think about it the more it makes sense really, the holes are smaller but theres twice as many (4) so same amout of fuel at higher pressure would make sense... B)

• 2 weeks later...