first to go, is those god awful, standard seats, very very uncomfortable, and although im not a particuarly tall guy, i found that even i was to tall for the seats.

HPIM0241.jpg

whilst the seats were out i decided i would fit another stereo, as the one that was in it, was for the japanese market, and also there were no speakers,

HPIM0242.jpg

doing the re-wiring, the japs love to bodge wires,

HPIM0243.jpg

HPIM0244.jpg

finally finished fitting stereo, and i also repaired the buttons, for the air vents, as 2 were broken.

HPIM0245.jpg

rear strut brace fitted and speakers.

HPIM0246.jpg

although after i fitted the rear strut brace i suddenly realised that i am changing the suspension the weekend and will have to remove it again, doh!!:homer:

gave the car a very quick wash, as was starting to get dark,

HPIM0247.jpg

HPIM0248.jpg

HPIM0250.jpg

will update over the next few weeks, hopefully i can get the next project of the month B)

a little bit more progress today.

i swapped the suspension over.

this is the stuff that was on the car.

rear shocks

HPIM0252.jpg

rear springs

HPIM0253.jpg

front shock and spring

HPIM0256.jpg

its strange why itr had rs*r springs on the back and (i'm guessing here) monza springs on the front.

the car did have monza shocks all round, which were very firm, for a shock and spring setup, and was quite good round the twisty's.

my old buddy clubs, next to the shock i just took off.

HPIM0251.jpg

also fitted watanabe locking nuts

HPIM0255.jpg

watanabe nuts fitted, and autobahn tuner nut's fitted.

HPIM0254.jpg

once the buddy clubs were all fitted the tracking was massively out, and the car had a mind of its own, so i quickly adjusted it enough to get me to the tyre shop, but by the tim i got there they were closed.

so i done the tracking myself with my eyes, and its only a liitle off and will be safe to use tonight, then i'll get the tracking done tomorrow.

seeing as tomorrow is mother's day, work on the car is postponed, so next weekend, i'll be swapping the exhaust and roll bars hopefully.

Well more work went on this weekend, there seems to be more and more lol

swapped the steering wheels over, as the one in the new car was a little worn,

HPIM0269.jpg

HPIM0270.jpg

HPIM0271.jpg

also bought the vanity tray for the starlet off dave_gtturbo,

HPIM0272.jpg

got the skirts repainted when i got the roof done, and i must say a blinding job was done,

HPIM0276.jpg

HPIM0277.jpg

Rare peice of JDM goodness, (cue JAY for any info)

HPIM0275.jpg

HPIM0273.jpg

also swapped the standard air box for my hks mushroom,

HPIM0278.jpg

Decided to swap the exhaust from my old car to my new car as it was a 5zigen, and actually made a noise.

HPIM0259.jpg

the main reason for me swapping the exhausts

HPIM0260.jpg

the 5zigen, so much smaller and lighter, then the unknown one that was on the car

HPIM0262.jpg

HPIM0261.jpg

HPIM0263.jpg

The TRD anti - roll bar also got swapped,

HPIM0264.jpg

the newly painted, shiny roof,

HPIM0265.jpg

swapping the fuel pumps over,

new pump

HPIM0266.jpg

old pump, super dirty

HPIM0268.jpg

HPIM0267.jpg

I must say, big shout out to kei aka Glanza k31, for helping me swap the exhausts and anti-roll bars over, couldnt have done it with out his help.

and it earnt him some brand new TRD roll bar bushes, as they wont fit on mine lol

just a lil update today,

i've got a few days off work so thought i'd crack on and finally get every thing swapped over.

so today i fitted the TRD engine mounts from my old car, and put the old mounts from the new car onto the old one. it was bloody hard work.

I also fitted my sideskirts back on, and put on my front lower arm bar.

also cleaned the headlights with some polish, as they were very yellow, i think they came out not to bad

i havnt got many pics, i just took some of the outside of the car

its still filthy dirty as i not had chance to clean it, and it was starting to get dark out, and my camera is a pile of poo, so they havnt come out to well.

HPIM0279.jpg

HPIM0280.jpg

HPIM0281.jpg

when i get round to washing it, and the weather is good and i nick my dads camera, i'll get some decent pics.

tomorrow im swapping the fuel pressure regs over.

i found me camera, so gave the car a quick wash, and took some pics of my progress.

unfortunately it's been a bit slow as i have been waiting for some parts, and the weather has/had been poor.

car003.jpg

car004.jpg

car005.jpg

car006.jpg

car007.jpg

another eventful day today, i decided to fit my engine management

apexi s-afc and s- itc:

car001-1.jpg

JAM FCC

car002-1.jpg

and decided to heat wrap my decat, as it was rusty

car003-1.jpg

decided to finally tune my car, this weekend, in time for le mans.

problem was nothing fitted together.

heres some pics i got at the weekend.

P24-05-08_1256.jpg

P24-05-08_125601.jpg

P24-05-08_1257.jpg

P25-05-08_123101.jpg

well today i cleaned my rocker cover.

it's not perfect as i got bored and i had other things to do.

P31-05-08_1915.jpg

i was working till 1 this morning, so when i got back, i done the above.

i also wired my boost controller in, and fitted a new drop link bar, as mine had broke.

i then proceeded to piss about with my new manifold, yes it is still causing me problems,

the majour blow on it was my fault, i never put enough past on the down pipe, so i sorted that, and i can garuntee that is not blowing now.

there is what looks like 2 little pin holes in the welds on 2 of the runners, so i'm hoping upon hopes that is the problem, if not then its going to le man blowing, and i'll sort it out when i get back.

the guy i bought it from said that i can try welding it, and if it dont work then he shall send me a new one, and i send him this back.

fitting intercooler, i must say i am impressed with the autobahn cooler. also tried fitting the hks filter in the front, but it just will not fit.

P01-06-08_1238.jpg

went to halfords, and bought a filter as i needed to get the car on the road today.

found this

P01-06-08_1834.jpg

its off a corsa though lol

P01-06-08_1939.jpg

was a bargain price though

P01-06-08_193901.jpg

catch tank fitted

P01-06-08_183402.jpg

manifold - which is still bloody blowing grrrrrrrrr

P01-06-08_183403.jpg

modified intercooler piping

P01-06-08_183401.jpg

piping with heat reflective tape

P01-06-08_183404.jpg

and everything back together

P01-06-08_2124.jpg

i now have only 0.4 bar of boost max as the mani is still blowing, and it takes an age to get to speed. so i shall be taking it easy on the way to le mans.

right just a small update.

decided that the corsa k&n filter just would suck enough air, and decided that a 45mm lenth of pipe never done the trick either.

so on goes a hks air filter from a skyline, and a lengh of 51mm pipe.

and i must say i'm impressed that i still have air con to go with it.

all i need to do now is adjust my actuator arm, and get it tuned, hopefully be sometime this week or next.

after that the cars just gonna be driven and have the uprated brakes i have lying around, i'm bored of spending money on it now

P06-07-08_1158.jpg

P06-07-08_1200.jpg

and that is how long the piping is, its a very short route, and has minimal bends in it

got it tuned

it made 177lb/ft of torque, and 157.1 hp @ the wheels, which i'm pretty happy about to be fair :o

unfortunately the crack in the wastegate is causing a boost drop of 9psi, it starts at 19 psi and drops down to 13.5 psi, it's not really noticable on the road but i think it could have made more power.

also my headgasket is on it's way out as the overflow bottle was filling up.

and my tuner reckons my piston rings might be on there way out as there was a lot of air coming out the breather, but it's not burning any oil and isnt running on less than the 4 cylinders, so i am unsure.

but i have decided to go forged anyway and wack the boost to 1.4bar, but this wont happen for a few months yet :D

as soon as photobucket is working again i shall upload the power graph and the video :D

sorry for the blury graph, the blue line is the torque, the red line is the wheel power and the yellow line is the boost, black flat(ish) line is the a/f

i cant get a better pic of the graph as the lines are to small for a scanner, and a camera cant take a better pic.

HPIM0344.jpg

th_2008-07-09-35440.jpg

you need to sort that fmic bodged pipework mate, looks like quite a restriction in that, which you could do without as the core is quite large anyway, you want it flowing as efficient as possible.

what was wrong with the original fmic pipework routes? what you've done there is just pikey, and prob what is causing your loss of power (or lag anyway).

you need to sort that fmic bodged pipework mate, looks like quite a restriction in that, which you could do without as the core is quite large anyway, you want it flowing as efficient as possible.

what was wrong with the original fmic pipework routes? what you've done there is just pikey, and prob what is causing your loss of power (or lag anyway).

well to be honest it was done because i was told a manifold i bought would fit with the blitz/autobahn pipework, and unfortunately it didnt.

and i needed the car to go to france with, so for the time being the pipework was bodged, its really not that pikey to be fair mate, maybe its the reflective lagging makes it look worse.

but re-routing the piping is next, it's just a bit difficult when your trying to keep the a/c, and it's not really ideal to clock the turbo as im using an actuator, and will need to get brackets made up.

another reason it hasnt been done before it got tuned was because it was sort the piping route out, or get the car running safely as money is a bit of an issue at the moment because of unforseen circumstances, naturally i would rather get my car running safely.

the boost loss is more than likey due to a crack in the waste gate, and spool is almost the same as riko's, mainly to do with the manifold design, but its really not that much later than stock.

thanks for your helpful and sarky input ;)

well a succesful saturday for me, got my car detailed by a mate of mine who does it for a living, he really came up trumps and my car looked awsome, came up so much nicer than i could have imagined.

P19-07-08_1514.jpg

he used some type of metal polish on my exhaust, whatever it was made it shine oh so good and imo miles better than autosol

P19-07-08_1343.jpg

P19-07-08_1342.jpg

P19-07-08_1341.jpg

P19-07-08_1340.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

also got some pics of my front mounted air filter (these were taken before car was cleaned)

all pics were taken on a camera phone

also repainted all my wiper arms, as they were all rusty, really to make such a difference.

P19-07-08_1457.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

decided to fit braided brake lines today, i thought it was about time seeing as i have had them for just over a year now, and the power of the car has upped lol

was a bad idea,

the brake pipe union rounded off, and for love nor money would it budge, so i went out and bought a brake flaring tool, got home and realised that the flaring tool couldnt do steel pipe, which the starlet has, bugger.

so i perservered and got the union undone, yay,

then i went to move it and the the brake line split :rolleyes:

P27-07-08_171601.jpg

P27-07-08_1717.jpg

but after hours of making the flaring tool work on steel pipe (perseverence is key)

i finally got the fronts fitted (it was the passenger side that was a pain, drivers side was a peice of cake)

P27-07-08_1714.jpg

the reason the brake lines are now in a different position is because the buddy clubs used to keep undoing themselves on the brake line brackets bolted to the chassis, so the only option was to move them.

also decided to fit my FERODO DS2500 brake pads that i have had for 6 months,

P27-07-08_1716.jpg

and decided to fit my new discs also

P27-07-08_1715.jpg

next weekend i shall do the rears, and pray that everything works ok.

oh also added some stickers

P27-07-08_173701.jpg

P27-07-08_1736.jpg

P27-07-08_1737.jpg

thought i would get some proper pics of my rr fraphs and tables.

before it got tuned:

P28-07-08_2149.jpg

P28-07-08_214901.jpg

after

P28-07-08_214601.jpg

P28-07-08_2146.jpg

P28-07-08_2151.jpg

P28-07-08_215101.jpg

the temp the booth was set to etc etc

P28-07-08_2153.jpg

P28-07-08_215301.jpg

final graph (again)

P28-07-08_2143.jpg

P07-08-08_201801.jpg

P07-08-08_201802.jpg

starting to strip the car down to replace head gasket.

would have got a lot further if my dad hadn't taken the keys to the shed where me tools are, out with him

P10-08-08_1302.jpg

P10-08-08_1249.jpg

fitted new water pump today, whilst its easy to get to.

i dont know if having the extra blade will cause any problems but we soon find out i guess lol, it fitted fine so i assume it will be ok.

also just been generally cleaning things today, in fairness to get best results in cleanliness the engine needs to come out and just lay in a bath of jizer for a few days,

how do engines with no oil leaks get so dirty is beyond me

decided to paint my rocker cover

during painting:

P13-08-08_1908.jpg

P13-08-08_1928.jpg

finished painting:

P13-08-08_1949.jpg

P13-08-08_1950.jpg

i shall be changing a fair few things while it's all apart, including that intercooler piping ecksjay.

crackin car u got there such a change to see a non quadlamp and also some1 who does not decide to cut away the bumper for intercooler looks much better wheels i must say r stunning write ups r ace also mate keep up the good work

bit of an update from during the week.

i seem to have deleted a load of pics though which is rather annoying.

any way, i done the valve collets, and rebuilt the.

i needed to check the valve clearances now that i have reground the valves.

P18-08-08_2159.jpg

red pot is jizer so i could clean each part before it went back in the head, the orange pot is oil. i have never seen oil so clear, i thought i would buy some shell helix fully synthetic and i cant beleive the difference between valvoline and shell.

any way after buggering up the fitment of the head the first time, my fault for being tired and not concentrating on what i was doing.

any way got a new gasket from work and some new head bolts, well lets just say whoever sayd that aftermarket stuff isnt as good as OE i can say is rubbish.

i bought a PAYEN headgasket and bolts and compared them to toyota and i could not tell the difference, the payen gasket even came in the same celephane that the toyota one does, i was highly impressed.

sadly no pics though.

any way got head on and distributor, and the timing belt is now on also.

P21-08-08_1926.jpg

tomorrow i need to fit the injectors and the inlet mani, then my mate is coming round sunday and we gonna re route the inter cooler piping and refit the turbo, and reweld the mani and make a custom actuator bracket.

i cant wait to feel boost again :)

well finally getting there with my car,

inlet manifolds on, and all sensors and wiring is in place, just gotta make my custom piping, and actuator bracket, then fit it all together. hopefully have it running tomoorrow.

pics of progress:

P23-08-08_1934.jpg

P23-08-08_1926.jpg

also fitted my cusco master cylinder stopper, i've had it for over a year now and i just forgot about it, till today lol.

hopefully it will make a difference.

P23-08-08_1714.jpg

been a very very hard weekend.

i never thought turning the turbo would be so awkward, but we done it lol.

also a thanks to all those nice comments

at first me and a mate spent 4 hours making an actuator bracket, test fitted it, and realised the guy who i got to rotate the turbo had rotated it to far, our fault for not double checking.

so with that found out we were almost defeated, but fear not my mate had a great idea, i had a second intercooler pipe, so 2 became one, plenty of cutting and rewelding

P24-08-08_1820.jpg

so with that done, i decided to wrap my maniflod while he was messing around with bits and peices and doing lots and lots of welding.

P24-08-08_1149.jpg

after the IC pipe had been welded, we needed to test for leakes under high pressure, so heres one we made earlier, proper bloue peter stylee lol

P25-08-08_1223.jpg

an empty siline cartridge, an air line, and a bucket of water and walla.

eventually they were all welded up. ( this was much harder and took much much longer than i have made out so far, ne and my mate have spent 12 hours solid for 2 days on this and it's still not been started lol)

P25-08-08_1405.jpg

hours and hours were then spent making a custom actuator bracket

P25-08-08_193202.jpg

unfortunately i was to busy to take many pics.

then we found that the new actuator bracket interfered with the power steering pump, and we couldnt make the pump fit, so i solution

P25-08-08_1932.jpg

P25-08-08_193201.jpg

yep we cut up the power steering pump lol

then we had problems with more pipe work, and its just been one problem after another so i tried bending an air con pipe and got this

P25-08-08_2040.jpg

all over me the car and my mate, was proper pissed and this was at 8.45 tonight. never mind it's one of them things, so i now need to get one of them, DOH!!

we then had a huge mission of cleaning up, and putting a few things on, we finished at 10 tonight, and have concluded with this

P25-08-08_2147.jpg

gotta double check a fair few things then fill it up with oil and water, and hopefully all will be well, but i cant help but think something else is gonna go wrong ^_^

This is how the bay looked when i started it for the first time, today (26/8)

P26-08-08_183701.jpg

P26-08-08_1837.jpg

i seem to have boosting issues now though which is very odd, the actuator dont seem to be boosting to what i have been told it does.

i am waiting to hear back from the trader i bought the actuator from

right i think i've found the boost issues, at 4k onwards the timing has been retarded quite a bit, from standard levels,

i beleive the tuner done this because of the way the piping route used to go over the engine and manifold.

it was originally booked in for a retune tomorrow, but i'm having mega cooling issues now (see other thread) so i cancelled it, theres no point getting tuned when theres obviously something wrong.

so as soon as i have located the coolant problems, i will decide what direction i will be going for the future.

unfortunately i have spent to much to turn back now, so must carry on and spend that lil bit more lol

• 4 weeks later...

lil update, been a few weeks,

my original plan fell through so i have decided to rebuild mine.

decided to take the engine out ready to send to dave b.

the engine hoist, it's a hoist for lorry engines, so a little bit overkill, but it costs me nothing to use so cant complain lol

P21-09-08_1555.jpg

P21-09-08_1553.jpg

engine

P21-09-08_155301.jpg

gearbox

P21-09-08_1554.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

decided to clean the inlet manifold last night, my thumb and fingers hurt so much now, spent hours scrubbing that to get it clean, 15 years of crap

P01-10-08_2043.jpg

P01-10-08_2042.jpg

decided to clean up the fuel rail last night aswell

P02-10-08_1830.jpg

P02-10-08_1829.jpg

P02-10-08_1828.jpg

again not quite perfect, but it's the best its gonna get

• 4 weeks later...

started putting all the brackets back on the engine today.

HPIM0351.jpg

HPIM0352.jpg

freshly painted timing belt cover

HPIM0353.jpg

fitting flywheel

HPIM0354.jpg

HPIM0355.jpg

fitted clutch

HPIM0357.jpg

fitted greddy oil filter relocation kit

HPIM0358.jpg

ATTAIN Power throttle cable link

HPIM0359.jpg

painted brackets

HPIM0360.jpg

HPIM0361.jpg

HPIM0366.jpg

fitted one race harness

HPIM0367.jpg

got rocker cover back, and gearbox back this week.

Picture002.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

awesome work man, love that attain bit its so sexay - have u tried it yet?

mine is fitted, but my engine isnt :lol:

no not yet.

i not sure if it will make much difference, but it was shiny and blue, and rare so thought i would buy it lol.

i have only got as far as putting the engine in at the moment, just waiting for another couple of bits then it will be finished, if mines on the road before yours, i let you know how i get on lol