question for the graphic designers on the site

hey i just need to clarify something

im abit confused about raster and vector images

am i right in saying a raster image is stored in a jpeg format

and vector as a gif format?

apart from that is there anything else that realy distinguishes between raster and vector,

hopefully someone can help me

Raster = bitmap images i.e JPEG, TIFF..which are lines of pixels that will add or remove pixels depending on how you size it and usually ruin the picture.

Vector = I think these are mathematical equations instead of pixels allowing the shape to rendered to any size or form.

Depends what you created it in, some people use the term 'vector' even in Photoshop. Which is incorrect although i think you can export them as Illustrator files somehow now in CS3

You would have to Create it in something like Indesign or Illustrator or Corel draw and save it as an EPS or a PDF these are both good for print. But you may have to adjust some things on the PDF settings. Save it to JPEG for web if its an Image. Images should be saved as TIFF for inputting in documents for print.

Yeh it will prob have to be a JPEG mate.

Gifs are good for little animations and small graphics that don't require much information such as icons and areas of blank colour - on the web. They are not really good for photo's mate as they cant contain as much information.