• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea plus its only a small amount by 20 - 25mil.

anything down to 40mil and your probably fine,

basicaly put if you lower your ep more with just lowering springs there is a chance that your standard dampers will burst, more so if you have heavy alloys.

because your altering the spring rate and not upgrading to a matched/adjustable damper, every time the spring compresses due to a bump the damper does not have enough force to do its job and dampen the compresion, this prolonged abuse will eventualy lead to the damper failing.

this is exagerated if you have heavy alloys,

i had my black starlet lowered 60+mil with heavy 17's...

i went through two different sets of standard dampers,(8 in total)

does that help?

burst shocks are also caused by dirt. if you think about it, with standard ride height, the dampers are only traveling down their optimum amount, and road grime builds up around where the damper is not going on full travel. when shorter springs are fitted the car basically sits on the perviously optimum height... as soon as the damper travels past this 6 year old grime it rips the seals out of the top of the damper, and the oil gradually comes out.

this happened to my rears, apparently this only really happens on rear shocks.

Rich.

yeah, to be honest, im still on standard shocks... 2 an a half years after lowering it!!! i just cant afford to splash out on new shocks... i'll just wait till these go, an then think of replacing them!!

Rich.