you need to get one orders asap bro, it`s ment to be there for a reason (which i dont know) mabe to have a better seal as the two metal parts may be uneven....whatever.

i also wonder that my guess was that when building the engines at toyota they used the same MAP in both engines so rather than waste piping etc they could add the long or small piece of pipe to the circle adapter?

So you didn't have a gasket with the old manifold? :S

if you say it runs fine and idles fine then thats all good but I'd still get one for peice of mind. Best way I find to propperly reset the ECU is disconnect it from behing the glove box ;)

You know its reset when you start it up next, it tends to want to stall but revs itself back up. leave it idling for 5-10 mins then take it for a good drive through all gears with hard and easy driving.

Well it seems to work fine without one, I did the bolts up pretty tight, both surfaces (inlet mani and throttle body) looked clean and smooth, so I don't think there should be any problem? I'll get a gasket anyway, but for now it'll be ok without one, yes?

It won't do any long term damage, its there incase there are any imperfections in the making of the seperate items. Like i said if it runs and idles good then it should be ok.

The plastic circle on the map pipe is a one way valve so dirt can't get into the map and damage it, they're very expensive to replace.

Also ste you'd better get a gasket on there, its hard to get a perfect seal without them so dirt can get into the engine, not a good idea.

Right, well I am using two of those one way valve things, because my mani came with a bit of pipe and the one way valve, so I use the second valve as a "joiner" and another bit of pipe so that the pipe is long enough to reach the mani.

It works fine, so I think it's ok