Has anyone changed the camshafts on their 4EFE? I plan to eventually, so was wondering what's out there.

I'm guessing most people have heard of "Kent", I had a look on their website and they make cams for 1.3 Corolla, so I'd assume it's the 4EFE.

Alternatively, would swapping a 4EFTE/5EFE/5EFHE head make any difference? But I suppose the FTE and 5E are the same as the 4EFE?

Also, what else would you need to effectively run new cams, would you need some sort of piggyback?

Here goes...

There are two types of cams you can get besides oem cams.

Regrinds or regrounded cams which are whats commonly available, you send in your old cams and the company reprofiles them by machining the lobes to a different shape.

i.e Kent Cams, Piper Cams.

These are the most affordable way to acquire performance cams but a downside is that there are also limits to how far the stock cam can be reprofiled without upsetting geometry and will not be as durable. If done properly however they would be a good investment for a modified setup.

The other type of cams which are billet cams, these are more expensive but are the real mc coy in terms of quality.

The reason being billet cams are made from a solid piece of metal which means there are less limits to what profiles can be made and the cams themselves would last longer and be a lot more durable, you'd be surprised at how worn some cams can get.

Dave Burwash & Toy Tuning make these to order, the other off the shelf billet cams out there i.e cruise etc are suited for turbo only.

The 4E/5E/FHE heads are all the same, some may say that the jdm heads have better casting or flow but that is debatable.

Its what you get done to the head that counts. Also just slapping in new cams wont really do as much if you dont have any other engine breathing and internal work to compliment them as well as some sort of fueling/idle management for maximum potential. You will most likely find that the car will be running poor otherwise.

To get the full potential you would be better to do things fully, but that is your choice, its just my opinion and will take lots of time and lots of money.

There are so many variables to consider, for example if you want to go for a 'mild regrind' cam which is gonna be a bit better than stock with a stock engine it may be worth it, but if you were going for the works on your engine etc I wouldnt bother. Do some research yourself about cam profiles etc you'd be surprised of all the information available.

Im going to be using 5EFHE cams which are 'mild' until I can get a set of wilder cams made much later.

Hope this helps from a different perspective. Im sure others will be able to add to this.

Joz

Thanks for the detailed answer as usual Joz ;)

And as for other mods, I'd have others of course, I wouldn't bother with cams until I've got the breathing sorted, which would include intake mani/air filter/exhaust mani/exhaust, and the fueling, bigger injectors, and some sort of management, and like you said, better valve springs - as I'd probably want to raise the rev limit aswell.

(If I'm talking nonsense here then do tell me)

Sounds fine to me mate, at the end of the day the spec you'll be using is your own and will be based on what you think is right.

Do lots of research man. They used to make conglomerated 4EFE race engines for the old N/A EP80s so there is hope!

Its fine to raise the rev limit but Im not sure how much on the 4E due to the rods and if you were to raise it you would need piggy back management at least.

I wonder if 4EFTE rods can be used seeing as you are sticking to the 4EFE as they are 'almost' as thick as the 5EFHE rods, but Im not sure if there would be any complications...

The valve springs would certainly stop valve float but they will cause more wear to your cams etc, its gonna happen with mine.

I would suggest FHE Rods as they are the strongest E Series rod but they only fit a 5E bottom end.

They would let you rev safely past 7500. I just don't see the 4EFE ones revving as high safely...

Joz

Well 6200 is the limit now, raising it to 7000 would be nice, I doubt I'd want to go past 7500 though, don't want to risk anything.

I think the FTE rods would be the easiest option, assuming they're the same height as the FE ones.

All of this is a long way off though, it probably wont be until next year when I get serious about modding the 4EFE, but learning is the only way forward.

Either that, or get someone else to do it, which takes all the fun away.

You are thinking on the right track mate.

Take your time with things, if you do decide to go ahead with your plans they would be very good to see.

But by the time you get finished you could have easily got an FTE in her...

Joz

That's the same as saying you could also have an FTE in yours too Joz, :p but you have your reasons I'm sure, I'm guessing insurance cost is the main reason?

I want to do something different for now, I haven't seen anyone really go mad with the 4EFE, though I'm sure it's been done?

But I'm sure FTE will come in the future. ;)

And that's all that needs changing, along with something on the electronic side of things to raise the rev limit?

No other internals need changing? - but I did read somewhere that Starlet engines run "cold" which is why you shouldn't have too much trouble with raising the limit?

2 things that are suseptible to high revs are...

con rods and valve springs.

the rods should be fine at 7500. the only thing that suck are the springs, they are very weak and promote floating of the valves.

you at jae? i have some fte springs in the garage you can have.

I wont be at JAE :p ... but if those valve springs still happen to be there by the time I need them, I'll buy them off you ;)

And what needs doing as far as the rev limit is conernced, I read about something about take apart the ECU and change something inside, but that all sounds a bit dodgy

You raising your limit aswell Rich? :p

well, I'll let you be the guinea pig and you can tell me how you get on with it ;)

On another note, is the 5EFHE head a straight fit and will it give much of an increase?

Well I want to but need to get a few things sorted first. Would also need to check AFRs when raising and Ignition timing ETC..

Also I don't see how regrinds work, do they add more material then grind it off? Otherwise you would have worse cams than you started with surely... Need to read up more lol

Shweet! cheers guys will come in handy at some point I'm sure.

Well I guess the only way of raising RPM is the hardwiring of some oscilatng resistor thingy :D without going into mega bucks.

Doesn't actually look too hard, I'd have to get myself a rev counter aswell though.

I think raising the rev limit will be my next mod after coilovers/rear ARB/brakes/air filter.

So can one of you lot keep a set of valve springs for me? Thanks :D