7AFE throttle body for 4EFE?

I read that the 7AFE TB will fit on the 4EFE, with little modification?

The 4EFE TB is 55mm, how big is the 7AFE one? All I can find is 76-78mm, is that correct?

Has anyone actually tried one of these?

Did a quick search on google and found bugger all, just wanted to know if these would be a worthwhile mod for the 4EFE. (I thought it would be as most airfilters fit 76mm piping which is roughly the same size as what the 7AFE TB is).

With the corolla manifold:

After looking at some pictures it seems that the manifold will need to be modified, the "flange" part will need to be cut off, and then the part before it splits into four runners (the "ball" sort of shape thing) will need cutting back, the flange thing will need to be bored out to a bigger size and then welded back onto the manifold to allow for the bigger size throttle body.

So basically even if you put a bigger throttle body on there it's still choked by the inlet of the inlet manifold. So needs a bit of custom work.

But it looks to me like it's the most air you'll be able to get in there without upgrading to ITB's or forced induction or some sort of custom setup.

Although I could be talking out my arse, someone please correct me if I am. (I know my explanation isn't exactly as technical as it could be).

Pm my buddy rmsnoel, if he replies he will tell you all about it, he's seldom on here.

I know exactly what you are talking about with that part of the inlet mani being the same size as the 4efe tb, so even if u upgraded to a larger tb, the actual volume increase wont be happening without enlarging the entry chamber inlet of the manifold.

Joz

Which would mean having to do custom work, but, I think this has potential. Just a matter of getting a guinea pig throttle body and manifold to chop up and weld. Will PM rmsnoel tommorow, cheers Joz.

Checked those threads earlyer mate, did a bit of searching but didn't find much.

I don't think it would be too hard to get a nice rounded inlet chamber, just depends on how everything is cut/welded/filed.

3 inches (76mm) would be nice, as that's the piping size for most airfilters.

bedtime for me :p was awake all last night and only just starting to feel tired ;)

I would have thought a 55mm TB would be sufficient, i used to have a 155bhp metro with a 56mm TB and some even considered that too big. Sounds like a large TB for such a small engine.

The problem with going too big would be slowing down the velocity of the air and loosing power.

I really dont believe it would be worth the effort, but if somone could pick one up cheap it could be tried

Almost forgot about this thread lol, and yes I thought about that, I think it would be a definate improvement if you were running some good longer duration cams, higher rev limit, and sufficient fuelling, then I think the 55mm TB could become restrictive, especially if you go and compare it to ITB's.

Another thing, if you're just tootling along in 5th and floor it, you don't really go anywhere, whereas if you gently ease the pedal in, it picks up alot faster.

I think you'd get a much worse version of this if you had the bigger throttle body without the longer duration cam and higher rev limit.

notice I use "I think" alot - I have not tried anything myself (yet) - it's mostly guesswork here