Bomb-Proof Bins For London

(Can I have a News section please? :huh: )

Hundreds of bomb-proof superbins will be introduced throughout London’s financial district next year.

The designers also plan to approach Transport for London to see if the rubbish bins could be placed on Tube platforms.

The one-tonne bins are designed to absorb the heat of explosives and prevent flying shrapnel using 'blast-intelligent technology'.

article-1082161-0250F8CE000005DC-829_468x829.jpg

Special materials sandwiched between layers of reinforced steel reduce the shockwave of an explosion by at least 75 per cent. The design protects the public from burns as well as ear and lung damage from blasts.

The bins, which cost about £30,000 to make and install, will also be fitted with LCD screens to provide rolling news and travel information.

London will be the first to introduce the bins, developed by British firm Media Metrica, which is in talks to install them in new York’s Wall Street and other financial centres.

The City removed bins in the eighties at the height of the IRA mainland bombings because they were sometimes used to hide devices.

Brian James, chief operating officer of Media Metrica, said the technology involved 'reduces the peak pressure of an explosion and extinguishes the fireball'.

Source: [/b]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1082161/The-bomb-proof-superbins-tell-news.html

Do they really think people are going to place bombs in a bomb safe bins??????

Kinda like the Knife Amnesty, who with a mind of a murderer, would volentarily hand in their knives?

and following what Ryno quoted, how is there going to be an emergency with a fuckin bin? "ooh i dont know what hole to put my chip bag in.. oooh nooo"

pfft - 30 grand wasted if you ask me.

I agree. Total waste of our frikken money.

£30k could be spent on some of the shitty roads that need re-surfacing. This is way more important than bomb proof bloody bins!

I would like to meet that twat that thought this was a good idea!

How the frik would an old lady take her bins out if they weigh as much as that???

In London there are no bins to put your rubbish in at all.

Nothing to do with old ladies taking their bins out, these are the ones you have on the side of the road/in the high street not the ones you take out your house.

what a waste of money, terrorists will just be liek oh i wont put this bomb in the bin then, ill just put it in a carrier bag outside a well known retailer/landmark

good ol' government knowing fuck all as usual