Yesterday I was messing about on the insurance websites and to my surprise I found out that when I'm 21 I can buy AND insure a mk3 Supra Turbo for the same price as I've bought and insured the Starlet for now. :p

Could also get insured for LESS on a mk4! But I doubt I'll have £10k to buy a good unmolested manual one...

Anyway, does anyone know of any good places (don't say google) to read up on mk3's, as I've loved Supras for years, and am quite happy that I only have to wait for four years instead of the 10 or so that I expected.

I tried to sign up to mkiiisupra.net but the elitist bastards wouldn't let me register because I don't have a Supra (yet).

Signed up to SupraMania and waiting for registration...

The only thing that annoys me is it's almost impossible to find a low milage manual turbo one as they are all high milage autos. Not that it matters yet anyway.

How old are you now?

17-17 IIRC

Things could happen between now and then Could have a bump or two maybe get banned who knows!! That will no doubt effect insurance

Concentrate on passing your test and getting good driving experience rather than dreaming mate!!!

Calm down mate I understand all that, it's only going to happen if I have 4 years no claims, but I'd rather find out now what sort of problems come with the car rather than "dreaming" for four years only to find out that it's a worthless bag of shit. :p

All I've found so far is blown head gaskets are common with the 7MGTE

You can get MKIV's for as low as £3k (N/A's), but I'm fussy, it HAS to be a manual/turbo/unmodded. Which will probably be out of my price range. Whereas anyone could go out and buy a mk3, aslong as they took the time to find a mint one.

I quite like the look of mk3's especially in black.

Like this one for example, I'm not too keen on the wheels but you get the idea:

mk3cr8.jpg

There's a difference between planning ahead and dreaming.

I would prefer a mkiv, but it as said already you can't predict the future anything could happen. A mkiii is somewhat affordable, aslong as I find a mint one.

Anyway, all I wanted was to know if anyone knows any good websites or anything with good info on mk3's. There doesn't seem to be as much info out there for mkiii's as there is in here for Starlets, either that or I just haven't found it yet. (Unless I find a decent mkiii forum)

The break alot, and cost a forune to run. Buy a MkIV.

As everyone has said quit dreaming of years in the future. You have to remember you doing just have to insure it. You have to Tax it (its Big Boy Tax), MOT it (They are all old rusty sheds), The are big thirsty Engines (Expensive petrol bill), due to thousands of miles wear and tear will take its part (buying bushes and stuff) plus the other servicing. Live in the moment, in the real world.

Spot on!!

They are certainly not cheap to run. A n/a and tt have very similar running costs on the MKIV

yeh as above, mkiii's arent all that tbh.. mkiv is much improved.. you could pick up one for 6k for a reasonable tt import nowerdays.. terrible i know.. but yeh 10k will get you a UK spec 6 speed.. and yeh the fueling was the reason why i decided to get the 82 in the meantime.. which in turn hasnt gone completely to plan of keeping it standard for daily driving lol :p

for good info visit ether mkivsupra.net

or the mkiii oc..

cheers

Cheers fishy, I prefer mkiv's anyway I just thought the mkiii would be a good option as they're much much cheaper to buy.

I'll just wait and see what happens you never know I could end up with a spanking good job and be able to afford a decent mkiv. But we'll see.

There is no point doing insurance quotes on a car that will be 4 years older, rustier and generally worn when you are old enough to afford to buy one!

An awful lot can happen in 4 years :p Working in maccy D's aint a good job, to run a car like that you realisticly need to be earning a minimum of £25K a year. You can do it on less but you won't have a social life :p

Anyone can insure a fast car but whats the point insuring something you can't afford to run or maintain......thats the only downside to big powerful turbo petrol cars.

If you cant afford a good one you certainly cant afford a cheap one!! :p

lol @ thinking I work in mcdonalds

"alot can happen in 4 years" has been repeated enough times, I understood that before I even made this topic, all I wanted was some info, I didn't know insuring a "fast" car would be possible in such a short amount of time, and I just wanted to do a bit of reading up on the cars so I know what's out there and what to expect, just as I have came to UKSC and learnt about Starlets. All I've got is people telling me things I already know. Not to sound like a prick, but it's quite annoying.

Oh and a "good" mk3 Supra is cheaper to buy than a Glanza :p Obviously running costs are much higher, but the initial price is lower.

lol @ thinking I work in mcdonalds

"alot can happen in 4 years" has been repeated enough times, I understood that before I even made this topic, all I wanted was some info, I didn't know insuring a "fast" car would be possible in such a short amount of time, and I just wanted to do a bit of reading up on the cars so I know what's out there and what to expect, just as I have came to UKSC and learnt about Starlets. All I've got is people telling me things I already know. Not to sound like a prick, but it's quite annoying.

Oh and a "good" mk3 Supra is cheaper to buy than a Glanza :p Obviously running costs are much higher, but the initial price is lower.

M, maccy D's is an example for a young persons job :p You could be super qualified and not get the job you go to uni/college to get the qualifications for.

As has been said before mate it's an old car now, if i was you i'd be lookin at the mark 4 version as they will be more affordable in 4 years time and there won't be many mark 3's left. :p

Just to annoy people i can insure a mark 4 TT for £318 FC B):p

but strangely the N/a version is £346??? :p

I would happily do it but i don't have the spare cash required to keep them maintained properly at the mo. :D

mk3 supras, are poo compared to the mk4.

also, if youre an unexperienced driver, a mk4 will eat you for brekkie. you may think you can drive, because you can handle a starlet. but trust me from first hand experience. supras are little pricks if you dont know how to cope with big power rwd.

if you want rwd turbo, id recommend getting an s13/s14 to start off with, just to get you used to the rwd. because its a different kettle fish.

mk3 supras, are poo compared to the mk4.

also, if youre an unexperienced driver, a mk4 will eat you for brekkie. you may think you can drive, because you can handle a starlet. but trust me from first hand experience. supras are little pricks if you dont know how to cope with big power rwd.

if you want rwd turbo, id recommend getting an s13/s14 to start off with, just to get you used to the rwd. because its a different kettle fish.

So true, I drove my cousin's TT when it was standard.....think they come at 360bhp or something like that. And that was pretty nippy and scary, now he's gone full BPU (over 400 break) and its an animal, the back end snakes like a biiiiatch!. It will byte you at some point if your not careful.

Jumping into a rwd supra from a starlet is a huge difference.