driveshaft/cv joint problems

yesterday ive started to notice a strange noise coming from the front driverside wheel... the only way i can describe it is it kinda sounds a bit like the tire rubbing on the arch (its not this by the way).

ive been down to a garage and had it up on a ramp and couldnt see anything obvious, we checked all the bushes, anti roll bar bushes, links, suspension topmounts, shocks, wheelbearings, balljoins etc...

we got hold of the driverside driveshaft to see if it had any play in it, and the whole shaft moved about 1/2 inch towards the wheel. we tried to move it again but it didnt want to move, so i took it out for a spin and the noise seems to have gone away?

been driving it for about another half hour and it started back up again but no where near as noisy. ive spoken to a mechanic mate and he thinks it could be the shaft and cv joint, as i had the outer cv boot changed a few months back and the guy had it done in about 20 mins, which i thought was a bit quick? my mate seems convinced the guy who did the work have buggered up the shaft and joint...

has anyone else got any ideas what could be causing the problem? is the shaft supposed to move that much?? i know my car hasnt got a lsd and i dont want the shaft to strip all the splines and then be stuck with no drive.

if it is likely to be the shaft and cv joint anyone got any ideas which number of splines the drivers side has on a 98 glanza v?

as its my daily driver and i cant be stuck without the car.

it'd be quite handy if anyone had a diagram of all the components... on a epc perhaps?

any help would be great.

Rich.

ah not good mate :thumbsup: you check where the shaft goes through the hub the nut that pulls it all together is tight?

suppose it could be a cv as that white gt we picked up ages ago had a fucked cv and that made dodgey noises. is there any play in the hub mate?

hope that nub ain't busted your car yet again :harhar:

yeah its fucking shit.... well i really want to see a exploded diagram of it first so i have an idea of what im looking at, but by the looks of things the cv is bolted tightly against the hub.

no play in the hub that i could see, only in the shaft.

just driven home and it didn't do it at all, looks like im gonna end up replacing the whole shaft and hub (to be sure) just for shits and giggles... NOT what i needed this time of year.

jay? you got any ideas what spline setup ive got on my v? and do you have a reasonable used driverside driveshaft?

yeah, cant believe it, im not gonna place full blame straight on him as it could have just been on its way out... but it seems convenient that he was the last one to do any work on that hub assembly and he rushed it.

oh well, yet another setback in my history of monumental setbacks.

Ello Rich,

there should be a bit of play in the driveshaft. Grab it in the middle of the shaft and push it towards the gearbox, then pull it towards the hub.

It should have a few mm's of movement, you should know if the shaft isnt tight as there will be play in the wheel.

Jack the wheel up, and make sure the wheel is bolted up tight.Then give it a wiggle, there should be no play in the wheel.

If there is play in the wheel, the hubnut is probably loose from when he changed the cv joint.

Pop the wheel off, remove the split pin holding the hub nut retainer on.Pull off the retainer and get an extension bar on the hubnut to tighten it.

You want to remove any play in the wheel as if its loose, it will damage the wheel bearing.

Maybe thats what the noise is? dodgy wheel bearing.

They make a whirring, humming kinda noise when there starting to show signs of wear.Then comes the excessive play when the ball race collapses.

The cv joint itself will click when on full lock when its faulty.

Id seriously check play in the wheel and make sure the hubnut is tight first though buddy.

Craig.

followed your advice buddy, ive now come to the conclusion its not the cv, the hubnut was tightened up to the full 216nm, so i know thats ok, i now suspect is something less serious, something like a topmount, as it sounds like its something to do with the suspension now... its not the wheel bearing either, we checked that the other day.

thanks for your help bud.

• 6 years later...