What to do..  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi guys,

Need a few opinions please..

I'm soon looking to start getting things sorted on my cars performance side of things, and not too sure whether to stay N/A or save for boost. Here are my two choices:

1) Buy a 5E-FE and modify it. Something along the lines of: Open ITBs setup by SAFC, aftermarket leads, 4 branch exhaust manifold and a full exhaust system including decat. Ported and polished head from a spare 4E-FE too. :lol:

2) Go for a 4E-FTE and rebuild it and prepare for fitting it next year (after having my licence for two years). Something along the lines of fitting a TD04 Turbo kit including manifold, downpipe, FMIC and exhaust system. And then I'd want Glanza engine and dash looms with an aftermarket ECU setup and all other fuelling mods I need. Obviously this is fairly big money but it would be spread out over the next 18 months.

What should I do? Stick to the slow 1.3 N/A for a while and jump to big boost, or stick to N/A tuning for a couple of years?

I know it's my car and some people may say I know what's best for me etc, but I really am quite stuck so need your help!!

Wrong section by the way, could someone please move it to the General or wherever it belongs. Sorry!

hey dude, i voted for turbo power

but my opinion would be to figure out what experience your wanting.

have you condisered 4age 20vavle swap, quad throttelbodys, five valves per cylinder, a highly tuned engine as standard. its a choice NA engine.

I have :lol: but its more work than I have in mind tbh, and I've heard those engines are not the best. Not really worth the hassle imo. I use the car daily for short journeys by the way.

If I went with the 5E, I'd probably go Turbo a couple/few years later.

ive voted turbo but wouldnt bother with td04 etc just yet

just get a good stock lump with ct9 etc

its a good jump in power and you wont have to wait as long

then as you save up, get bored and insurance gets cheaper start moding it up can get a comfy 200bhp from ct9 which is plenty for most then if you really want to throw a bigger tubby on afterwards

just my 2 pence worth

Be different and properly tune a 5E...get 100hp/litre out of it, be sitting pretty at a lovely 150hp. Sorted! (Haha I have no idea whether or not that is even achievable, but..meh! :D)

^^ Who knows... :(

Idrees a decent 5E build is going to cost you more than 1k mate don't be deceived.

You've felt the power of the FTE in various EPs so I think it will be well worth the wait and a much better bang for buck investment and near unlimited potential.

The FTE will need more maintenance but it is more practical than a higher powered na which needs hard driving to get the best out of it.

I wouldn't waste your money on anything else. I don't think you'd enjoy the flat out driving that is involved with a highly tuned 5E n/a EP which is something I have to go through.

Its not that fun on the street which is why Im taking it on track for flat out driving and response. That is its purpose, as a road car it would be wasted.

You know Im going through a full n/a build so why not ask me especially with the tuning and headwork etc? You do have to have a bit of madness about you tho :(:D

As much as I love my na I will have FTE power in some form of EP later down the line, but Im taking my 5E (soon to be 5EFHE-ITB) as far as it can go and will always have an n/a weapon to call upon.

Hope that gives you some more insight into your possibilities.

Talk soon :(

ive voted turbo but wouldnt bother with td04 etc just yet

just get a good stock lump with ct9 etc

its a good jump in power and you wont have to wait as long

then as you save up, get bored and insurance gets cheaper start moding it up can get a comfy 200bhp from ct9 which is plenty for most then if you really want to throw a bigger tubby on afterwards

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will wait for the Turbo, and maybe start with a stock lump with a CT9.

see i do speak sense ocasionally :(

• 2 months later...

Less than 3 months since I posted this and I've got everything to run 1 bar on the stock CT9. :( With chassis mods such as coilovers and bigger brakes. Things went faster than I had thought they would! :lol:

Idrees,

An SAFC will not run a ITB setp at all. You would need a minimum of a piggyback setup of somekind.

Pound for pound, 4efte all the way. Unless you forge the 5e and turbo it.

Rory

I'm soon looking to start getting things sorted on my cars performance side of things, and not too sure whether to stay N/A or save for boost. Here are my two choices:

1) Buy a 5E-FE and modify it. Something along the lines of: Open ITBs setup by SAFC, aftermarket leads, 4 branch exhaust manifold and a full exhaust system including decat. Ported and polished head from a spare 4E-FE too. :lol:

2) Go for a 4E-FTE and rebuild it and prepare for fitting it next year (after having my licence for two years). Something along the lines of fitting a TD04 Turbo kit including manifold, downpipe, FMIC and exhaust system. And then I'd want Glanza engine and dash looms with an aftermarket ECU setup and all other fuelling mods I need. Obviously this is fairly big money but it would be spread out over the next 18 months.