Gents, I got a new problem last week, this time engine-related.

My day (in the car).

In the morning I start the car with no problem and drive to work.

After a hard day of work my car idle's like shit.

The revs sit around 400-600 and it shakes horribly.

There is also a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust and it smells like half burned fuel or something, car also responds crap on the gas, with a little bit of gas, it shakes and doesn't run smoothly.

Next morning or later in the evening all problems are gone and the car runs perfectly with no smoke what so ever.

I brought the car to the dealer and they replaced the sparkplugs (which was overdue anyway) and it ran smoothly as always, till just now and it was hopeless again.

Does anybody have an idea what the problem could be.

Was thinking about selling the car because I need something bigger, but i can't sell it like this...

You could try changing the engine temp sensor as it sounds like it doesnt like running hot.

Other things to check are the condition of the spark plugs to show signs of overfuelling and also the map sensor as if its not wroking or reading incorrectly it can cause runing problems.

well just got back from the dealer, checked it and came up with the conclusion that the "choke-housing" is fucked.

(not sure if its called choke in English, its what keeps the engine at a certain revcount when the engine is cold)

If they hit it with a screwdriver, the revs bounce like crazy.

Anyone know where I can get one? (preferable cheap) ;)

And if the n/a version is the same as the turbo one?

"choke housing" I guess is the same as the automatic choke, is it the bit at the end of the inlet manifold? Thats the idle control valve which I think does the cold idle, it can be taken off and cleaned which usually is all it needs.

"choke housing" I guess is the same as the automatic choke, is it the bit at the end of the inlet manifold? Thats the idle control valve which I think does the cold idle, it can be taken off and cleaned which usually is all it needs.

I have slight idle problems, got any pics of the idle control valve so i know where it is? cheers buddy ;)

thanx, will check it saturday.

Got a pic of the location?

^^top right of the inlet mani mate.

Theres a black circular piece of rubber..take that out n you will see a screw ;)

i think it was clockwise to turn idle down n anti-clockwise to turn it up ;)

Thats just to control the actual idle level, the bit I'm talking about is here;

CIMG9699-1.jpg

Thats the idle control valve which is also the bit that ticks loudly! If you unplug the electrical connector the idle will drop as I mentioned this can cause an erratic idle if its gets to dirty. :D