5efhe Acis Intake Manifold

No one i know of has tried it on the FE and i really want to give it a go to see what can be acheived with it as the rolla one really livens the little FE up on the motorway, how different would this be?

What i know is i need a rpm activated switch to open the "gate" on the secondary runners and that a diff TB maybe? required...anyone help out on anything else i might need? when i get it what i plan to do is port/polish both the TB and as much of the mani as i possibly can.

Many thanks

Asad/Asda

P.s how much would one cost?

Hey mate

Firstly Dave Burwash was selling one before xmas, maybe you could source one from him or give him a shout him to track one down,

Yes you need a variable rpm switch with to use to activate the solenoid I believe. it gets confusing to explain.

I know of a thread that explains it better Give me a few minutes to find it.....

As for porting, thats definitely sumthing worthdoing....... BUT I wouldn't touch an acis intake system until I felt confident,

Buy a dremel and a few porting and polishing kits of the net and practice on a different intake and your chosen Throttle body when you feel braver..

right dudes.......no go zone :D

There is little point to using the ACIS on a 5E-FE if I can be brutally honest....in short, the 5E-FE just doesn't have the legs to use the ACIS, or rather make the most of it. Pretty much, on the 5E-FHE (which I used to have in the Cynos), at about 3400rpm I believe it was, the shorter runners would open, I think you know the basics of why - long runners for low down torque, short runners for higher end power. Well pretty much, the peak power arrived on the 5E-FHE at around 6400rpm or so, so, beyond the 5E-FE can manage. In physical terms, I'd be looking at the speedo, and past the redline of the 5E-FE (5600rpm) is when the speed really came in!

Beyond that, ACIS manifolds are generally expensive, I've sold 3 or 4 in the past, at about £150 a pop, and that's cheap really, I've seen them go for £200. Infact, the first one I bought was MEANT to go on the 5E-FE, but I figured, with all the work needed, and the fact that it won't make the most of the engine, it was better to get a 5E-FHE! And I went a step further and got a Cynos ;) .

to get it to work really is a bit of a hassle - a lot of people just plonk on there so that the short runners open under vacuum on full throttle, but that just loses you a lot of useful power and torque!

Wow...hmmm what if i got the mani to open up at lower revs with the rpm switch? tbh i was thinking 60 mph = 3k revs so for overtaking bam! it opens up at 3150 or something to provide the "extra" air...is my thinking on the way it works wrong or could it deliver? also its to go on a 4E- FE

If you open it at too low an RPM - as I said, most people leave it to vacuum to open the butterflies - you will just be losing torque at the lower end. And its not a VTEC like comparison, you hear a change in engine note (very slight), but as I said the power-rise is only really felt above 5600rpm! So even on a 4E-FE, it's not going to be really that worth it. It suits the 5E-FHE very well, and boosted applications especially, as with the greater manifold plenum volume it can charge the air, and the shifting of the butterflies proves useful to boost response and to top-end power.

I reckon the best compromise is the Corolla manifold to be honest on the 4E-FE, gives you the torque you need in the mid-range, and combine it with a larger thorttlebody for some top-end gain. Not to put you off trying something different, but putting all that effort and money into a manifold that won't reap full benefits of your particular engine, is just a bit of a waste really! Remember, it works with the more aggressive camshafts too, so the head may be a bit of a bottleneck to make the most of it. Just something to consider really. That, and they're extremely rare, so, good luck finding one!

Hmmmm so it would be best left for the FHE and FTE....?

I reckon so - they have the extra volume of air to utilise the manifold to its potential, on the 4E-FE it'll just have too much volume making it a bit of a top-end manifold in my opinion

Many thanks to Enrico for the very detailed answers

IMO I think it would work well combined with the 5EFHE cams and a good port/polish and 4EFTE valve springs (to prevent valve float) then somehow raise the RPM limit of the 4EFE ECU and away you go... it would be like a 5EFHE with less torque I suppose.

But it's a fair bit of work as opposed to simply bolting on the ACIS manifold.

That is such an awesome ACIS tutorial.

Riko tells it like it is Asad, it was purely made to run with the 5E bottom end which produces that extra torque that the 4EFE simply doesnt have.

Im sure you will be able to find a different solution to your n/a intake quest.

Good luck.

tbh guys think ill call it a day for Bob`o this was the last performance mod i wanted to "try" n do to keep me occupied when im bored n stuff at uni without having him off the road....like something different to keep researching etc

got a few more electronic/gizmo things to try tho ;)