bourkecarcrash1.jpg

bourkecarcrash2.jpg

bourkecarcrash4.jpg

bourkecarcrash.jpg

Well i have been to see the SR today for myself instead of looking at the pictures. To be honest when i saw it i was in shock. The pictures do not do the car justice at all. Im amazed i got off the scene with my heart beating. As the pictures show my entire side is completely gone with only part if the door internals remaining. All the electrics have been torn on that side so it looks like the entire car has shorted out. The keys are still in the ignition as i can't get them out due to the ignition being pushed so far inside the car. Also i can't open the bonnet to see the engine.

As for the circumstances of the accident i have the details from the people at the scene who recovered the car. I can't say it is true because i obviously don't know but it is from a good source. I have gone to overtake two cars on a straight and passed the first but for some unexplained reason i haven't got back in. One theory is the second car sped up to not allow me in quick enough, but it was only a Renault Scenic so there shouldn't have been any problem but there was. I was still on the wrong side going round a corner. The Land Rover coming in the opposite direction pulled as far over his side as he could to let me past but it didn't happen and we collided and with such force he was facing the other way. I went spinning out of control and was pulled out of my car by my seatbelt. After i stopped 100 yards away from the Land Rover i was under the front of my car no where to be seen. In the first few minutes people could not find me and neither could Craig. He managed to persuade someone to give him a lift off Snake Pass to get signal to ring the emergency services while i was still not found.

Then i moaned under the car and people found me under the car. A quick thinking person got a jack and lifted the car off me, which saved my life. Then i as taken care of and wrapped up in blankets and as you can see there was plenty of blood. After the emergency services turned up me and Craig went to seperate hospitals. I was 50/50 survival for the first night until i stabilized. I woke up in intensive car with lots of tubes hanging from all over me and a machine showing all my stats. I don't remember intensive care but i was awaking and cracking jokes apparently. Then the next thing i remember was waking up in a trauma ward as i'd improved enough to come out of intensive care.

At the scene, the police thought i was not going to make it so the scene was closed for 5 hours.

Now this goes to every single person reading this. I knew this road very well and even so this happened. No matter ho much you know a road, especially a country road, DON'T overtake EVER! We all do it but DON'T. I am lucky to be typing this right now. I have always said that we don't want an RIP topic on here and i nearly caused one myself. Im now not driving for months maybe even a year as im not in a fit enough condition to do so.

Drive carefully!!!!!

Thanks to all who helped save my life

Bourkey

Ps. Craig if you have any more pics please add them to this topic. Cheers

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James my friend, i am simply thankful that u are still among us and among your friends and family. i hope and pray that u are truly on the mend. take care of yourself dude and thank you for having the courage to openly discuss this with us.

My thoughts are with u and everyone else involved.

i hope everyone takes heed of this topic, i know it has made me think long and hard about my car, driving, country roads and safety in general. take care everyone!

Phil.

Good to have you typing this mate, someone was lookng over you that night.

My mate hade a pretty big accident last night in his Civic, the passenger side took all the impact and the passenger was very lucky to get ut of it.

Really hits home when you see somethig like that

Take it easy people :lol:

How the hell did you get out of that in one piece!!!!!!!!!!!! :( Jesus christ you are a very lucky guy thats for sure!!

It's a tough lesson but i know it will never be forgotten.

The main thing is you are alive, on the mend and able to tell the tale. There are a lot of wankers who try speeding up to stop people from getting past, i hope they have it on their conscience that they caused the unnessesary accident by their stupid actions and nearly killed you because of it!! :lol:

Any witnesses to back up that theory??

All the best and Get well soon mate. :D

I know that road too, snakespass is one of Britans worst roads, was over there 2 weeks ago I could not believe the risks that people were taking just to get past cars.

Some cars they were weaving in and out all over the place, I have seen so many near misses on that road I have 2 kids and drive sensible. It is so very tempting to just put your foot down but having kids in the back stops me. You always get the slow driver in front and it gets frustrating some times but its not worth it.

Get well soon Mel :lol:

I am truely thankful, from my whole heart, that we can enter this into the Starlet Graveyard, and not setting up a Starlet Owners Graveyard!!

I've never been keen on maniac driving, but seeing the photos for the second time really put the wind up me. Seeing them the first time it didn't programme, I just thought you saw a mangled car in a breakers yard or something.

Bourke, I really hope you are back on the mend and your able to join us at JAE even if you are not in your own motor!

Take the best of care buddy.

Sam

Thanks all i do know how incredibly lucky i am. The only thing is i can't admit liability as i don't know what actually happened this is just the most likely story out of them all.

The driver speeding up is just a theory remember. There is a big piece of the puzzle missing as i was on the wrong side of the road for too long. I would never do that ever no matter how daft i may be. Apparently i was pushing 80+ so why did i not get past the second car when they would be doing around 50??? Unless the driver comes forward i will never know. To be honest i don't care too much. Im still alive, which is the only thing that matters.

I was thinking the other day of trailering the car to JAE as a reminder what can happen when things go wrong but i doubt i could even get it home if they give it me back. If i do get it back i would like people to come to see it as the pictures do not do it any justice at all. My parents cried when they first saw it.

Bourkey

Glad to have you back mate....i say sod the car the pictures are scary enough, any idiot who needs more of a reminder than that to drive carefully should be..... :lol:

Hope things arent too painful, get well soon bro my thoughts are with you :(

ouch.. looks nasty mate.. i lost my license when i crashed my golf, altho it was because i fell asleep not overtaking :( .

As for admitting liability.. You've pretty much admitted to us all u were doing wrong, 80+ is a law breaker, wrong side of road overtaking 2 cars is too :lol: .. I just held my hand up and got it over with mate.. My lesson was learnt..

There are certain places and times to hav a quick blast in the car so hopefully everyone else will take this in and see how lucky you are and think about it next time they try something that they shouldnt. Im guilty of doing what u have done, as im sure most others are on here..

Certainly made me think about it now.

Please dont increase the insurance for us all on these, guys. Altho to be honest ive seen people try similar things in cars no where near as quick as yours.. But not only has bourkey lost his prized possesion but he was lucky to be alive. Think about how your own family would react, mine were worried sick when i had my accident.

Its not worth the risk.

But on a lighter note, ive just noticed your signature lol.. At least u wont have to go far for an injury claim :D

Heres for a speedy recovery and hope the police dont nail u too bad .

Like i said i can't admit liability as this is just what somene has told me. If i knew for certain what happened i could admit liability so the police have to investigate what happened. Also the police accused me of not wearing my seatbelt which is just stupid as i have massive cuts across my chest in the shape of.... a seatbelt and if you look at the seatbelt socket, it is still plugged in.

I can't see how one crash in the hole of the uk can affect your insurance. There would have to be like dozens and dozens in a short space of time to make your premium go up. And i really do wish i could claim but if it was my fault it is very unlikely :lol:.

The part that meant the most to me was when i met the guy who picked up the car. He said to the police at the scene "so the driver is a gonner a take it" and he also told m he has seen cars with less than half that damage and every person inside has died. If you look at my car it looks like it has been cut open by the emergency services, but that is how the car stopped. I wasn't in it and Craig was still sat in the passenger seat in the car you see. Imagine waking up and seeing half the car missing and no driver.

Bourkey

I meant to every other Starlet/import owner on here about the insurance thing.. :D

And yea i did think it was cut open, jeez mate... I think u like me have only 8 of our 9 cat lives left :lol: unless uve used more before that is.. At least u can still type,

Hope the wounds heal soon dude..

And hope it hasnt put u off cars/driving :(

glad your ok bud, seen you at the last manchester meet ( i think :lol: ). I drive the snake pass a lot in my van and i know how bad that road is people should be more carefull on any road cus these things happen on any road at any time!!

we all love starlets but there not worth loosing your life in one by any means!

good to hear you recovering!