• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in time mate you will get better but i have to be honest with you when your lungs collapse it takes a very long time to heal the first 2 times my lungs collapsed i had a period of 2 years before they collapsed again it is a slow process. (though your circumstances are diff from mine was)

Your lucky you work in an office as if you done any hard labour you'd be at risk of causing it to collapse again as one of the times mine collapsed (can't mind which time, you kind of get details mixed when its happened 8 times lol) all i was doing was lifting light bags with xmas pressies into my ex's house and i was in hospital that night.

so honestly mate TAKE IT EASY

@ Boostjunkie - Yep that is exactly what the docs have said. They said i have to take care for the next few years as i don't want to upset any of the massive amount of recovery i have done so far. I have fallen on my arm again so i don't think that helps :p. I saw the x rays of my lungs properly today and they said that they collapsed a massive amount. I had a drain going into each lung to get the fluid off them.

Everyone is telling me to take it easy but i just can't wait until get better. It's soooooo frustrating. I can just lift a laptop :thumbsup:.

I have been into hospital.....AGAIN....today to find out how op went and i got some good news. The nerve damage isn't as bad as they thought. They originally thought the nerve was completely severed. This would have taking years to fix. What has happened is that as they have put the pin in through the bone to hold the rod there, It has sat next to the nerve. Then the Swelling around it has pushed the nerve onto the pin cutting into it around 15% through. So the have freed it up to allow it to heal.

Also i have some gory pics from the night of the accident. They aren't pretty, you have been warned.

P160609_1251.jpg

P160609_125101.jpg

P160609_125102.jpg

P160609_125103.jpg

I told Mark to give his car a good blast so i could feel boost again, daft i am i know, But if you don't slow down after reading this topic now you are nuts!! Don't make the same mistake as me.

Bourkey

Ouch man!!!! I'm so sorry about your car, but I'm happy you still in one piece, If you give me permision I want to translate your history and hang some of your pics about the accident on our local glanza/starlet club page, that will be a hard and real lesson for everybody.

Take it easy bud, rest and be patience......

• 2 months later...

Well hello all!!!!

Iâ??ve not been on in quite some time as Iâ??ve been pretty dam busy. So here is a big update!!

Firstly the police decided I needed punishing that little bit more for my accident so I was charged with dangerous driving. This comes with a prison sentence for the worse offences like mine so I had to get a good solicitor on the job. Itâ??s cost a few grand but it has kept me out of jail. I have been extremely busy as I had to do all the running around to keep costs down. My case was a £10k-£15k case which Iâ??ve got down to around £5k by using someone at my work & getting a discount. In the end I have got a 12 week prison sentence suspended for a year, 80 hours community service and a 12 month ban.

Obviously Iâ??m not over the moon about this but my barrister was expecting much worse so I have got off quite lightly. Iâ??m glad I got the solicitor & barrister as I would have not done well and would most likely have gone to jail.

As for my injuries, my nerve is starting to show signs of life again, which is a very good thing. This has caused a little movement to come back in my hand. My shoulder is causing me some pain at the moment as is the top of my arm where the fracture was/still is. My lungs are pretty much recovered and in less than 1 month now I will be able to get on a plane again for possibly a short break. My main problem at the moment is my bone in my arm. It is not repairing so I may be looking at more operations to get it right again.

Finally this is far from over. After the ban/community service etc, I will be suffering from these injuries for a good while. I strongly advise that before you pass a car going slow, before you race someone from the lights etc, give this topic a think. Iâ??ve gone from having everything to having nothing. I canâ??t do any of my hobbies anymore and Iâ??m in pain most of the time. Iâ??ve not only lost the health you need to drive but my license to. I would hate to hear of someone going through this so please all be careful!!!!!!

I'll update again when i can but im pretty busy with Physio etc.

Thanks for everyones support.

Bourkey

After readin the whole of this topic, i feel bad for you man you must be goin thru some tuff shit at the moment and over the past few months , certainly gave me the signs to slow down mate

best of luck with recovering and getting back to drivin in 12 months

hey sounds like you've had a really hard time, hope everything is alright for you in the end, really has made me think back to daft things i have done in a car! i will definitely calm down now.

best of luck again!!!

just read the hole thing and hope you all the best mate and a speedy recovery.

this stuff really does happened way to easy as i no all to well last month a very good friend of mine lost control of his 106 at 50mph went 6ft up a bank and hit a tree he was not so lucky and sadly died on impact , i see my mate more of a hero as you should bourky because my mates (sam) death has had a huge impact on my life and many many others and even maybe saved someone Else's life because his accident is always in the back of my head,

sam was the kindest and genuine guys you could ever meat and has been a big part of my childhood and at only 19 is a very young age to die.

sam will be sadly missed

(sorry for posting up more sad stuff but people knowing and thinking about stuff like this might just make them think twice)

jonny

Wow, its hard to know what to say when it is something like this, firstly glad you are alive, more then anything thats the most important thing!

You can replace metal but you cannot replace lives, good luck with the mend dude!

Some bad news there mate but at least your recovering :D

Man I remember the community services days, was a bit of a laugh, notsure how you would find it but we didnt do much really :thumbsup:

All the best bud

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I've not posted in so long i thought i'd just let you know things are going. I know it is a daft time to post but i've woke up in pain and can't sleep...ah well. Im also continuing this as a kind of blog to show what happens when a near fatal accident happens. And also put people off doing the same thing as i did.

Since i last posted it has gone so great. My bone stopped healing completely and there was nothing i could do about it. My nerve however did improved suddenly. I started having electric currents sent down my nerve by the physio and that prompted it to come alive. I got a good amount of hand movement back although my hand was still weak. I couldn't pick up stuff etc as it would flop down. Then the metal rod in my arm came loose, which caused large amounts of pain.

Then the next operation came. They have taken the metal rod and the screws out of my arm and removed any scar tissue, which prevented the bone healing. Originally i was supposed to have bone taken from my hip but in the op they decided not to and use artificial bone to fill the gap in the broken bone. This was all plated together with a tough plate and what i think were about 10 screws. Next time i see the x-ray i'll count them.

After the op i woke up in a fair amount of pain to say the least. But i had a very bad reaction to thee anaesthetic that put me to sleep making me very ill. The worst bit though was as they put the plate in they moved my nerve out the way but it doesn't like being touched. So all my movement i got back is gone again, which is extremely frustrating. I can't do physio as the physio lives in the hills and can't get to the hospital so i just have to try and move my hand unaided until i can go again.

Before i went into hospital i could still not turn a steering wheel and i doubt very much i can now. It seems the doctors prediction of 18 months without driving may be pretty correct. Regardless of whether i buy a car or not i will take my test as soon as i am able to get it out of the way.

It's affecting me massively not driving as public transport is extortionate and regularly breaks down/late when i was in work before the last op. And when i am eventually back at work it will continue to eat at my pay. It's not that i miss driving because i don't as i am not fit enough to drive. If i was fit enough i suppose i would. It's all the fun that came with it i miss.

You are probably going to think i am daft but my next choice of vehicle is a motorbike :D. Obviously in about a year when im better I've picked the bike and what i want for it too. I've always loved them more than cars but never had the guts to get one but i may as well enjoy life, as i have found out, it could end any time :D. Plus the £530 insurance price tag compared to a £3000+ car quotes i have had made my final decision.

I'll post again when i can :lol:. Drive safe everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Bourkey

All the best with your recovery bro!

Really eye-opening stuff this, and I'm sure after seeing it everyone will think twice before doing something to risk their own/anyone else's safety

Get well soon :lol:

Nice to hear from you James, I was actually thinking about you last week. Did plan to come see Craig some time soon though and was gonna ask him how you are.

Wishing you all the best with the rest of the recoveries mate.