• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got some guts the other day to go up to the crash site. I wanted to see it for myself as some of the witness statements didn't match up like one saying the cars were over 100 yards apart when they stopped. Well they weren't they were around 40 yards apart.

When we got up there me and Craig felt sick with what we saw. Half of my car is still up there in hundreds of pieces. We found a headlight, interior pieces and the intact glass from my sunroof. There was all the markings on the road so you could see where the cars stopped and my skid marks. There was even a large red patch on the floor where i had been lying under my car.

It didn't feel right as the was so much carnage and i have no recollection of it.

I have photos from up there which i'll put up in a bit.

Bourkey

Just had the police round. He was a nice guy to be honest and was chatting to me for a good while.

The good news, The actual story from him differs slightly. I did make it back in after the overtaking part but the cars on the otherside were not far off me but still adequate enough. Then as i have finished overtaking to move in the back end of the car has gone light and i have gone part sideways. I have corrected this but too much and gon back onto the otherside causing the collision. The policeman said i was going quick at the start of the passing but at the end i was backdown to the limit.

Now the bad news. He has said this is likely to go to court for the charge of Dangerous driving or the lesser charge of careless driving. The officer is going to push for the lesser charge as he said after speaking to me i don't seem like your average idiot on the road. I was completely honest about everything as i still can't remember and he wasn't surprised at all. If it is the lesser charge i may get away with a driving course or points and a fine but if it is the higher charge im looking at a banned a hefty fine. I'll accept anything they give me as i was clearly not in control at the point of impact.

Bourkey

Bourkey, ive just read all of this, and yes i agree with that above. i remember seeing your lights on your side of the road but it seemed as if you were in a drift coming towards me. and then of course bang smash and all the rest.

The police man seems like a sound bloke hes spoken to me a few times.

All i can say now is speedy recovery and all the best, and with the next motor, sod playing with the engine for now, get it sent to Protection an Performace and have a full MSA spec cage welded into it!

Take care, Tim.

I've got some guts the other day to go up to the crash site. I wanted to see it for myself as some of the witness statements didn't match up like one saying the cars were over 100 yards apart when they stopped. Well they weren't they were around 40 yards apart.

When we got up there me and Craig felt sick with what we saw. Half of my car is still up there in hundreds of pieces. We found a headlight, interior pieces and the intact glass from my sunroof. There was all the markings on the road so you could see where the cars stopped and my skid marks. There was even a large red patch on the floor where i had been lying under my car.

It didn't feel right as the was so much carnage and i have no recollection of it.

I have photos from up there which i'll put up in a bit.

Bourkey

me an Adam did the same. I shit my self, if i hadnt have hit the armco barrier id have gone down that nice big hill into the trees, despite having a space frame around me, i think i would have been hurt.

The weirdest thing for me was, everything was just like normal, looked a innocent as could be and you couldnt imagine anything happening in that spot.

Tim.

@ Tim - A few people i know reckon that as i pulled back in i did it too quick, which in some cars with a simple rear setup like mine could have made it step out of line. I had a rear anti-rollbar fitted along with decent shocks and springs to reduce it but this still happened. It is a major design flaw with these Starlets/GT's/Glanza's that has been discussed many times on here. Also the poor saftey of these cars is a weak point. You just don't think about that until something like this happens though, and to be honest i doubt a rollcage woud have helped much in this crash. I hope you are in no way the same condition as me Tim as my injuries are anything but a speedy recovery. Thanks a lot for you and Adam's help. You didn't save my legs, you actually saved my life which im eternally greatful for :mellow:.

As for the next car im now saving for a DC2 Integra Type R. I've always liked them and i can insure a uk one even if i do get points. They are a good power out of the box which is what im after as i chucked around 4-5k at the SR and now it's all gone. Plus the handlings of a Integra is supposed to be legendary :). It's going to be a good while until i can drive again so i have plenty of time to save :).

Bourkey

I've just spoken to my insurance. Everythng is sorted now so i don't need to worry about that now. Bad news is the car is in such a state im not allowed it back. It is a Cat A or B they said so it has to be crushed. Now i can move on from the SR :mellow:.

Bourkey

• 2 weeks later...

I wish you a speedy recovery mate!

Sounds very scary

Now its my turn to share a gem of knowledge

You can put as much roll cage/harnesses/racing seats as you like in a car, but unless you do it properly. it can be worse than not having them atall.

I remember a couple of years ago my friend had a crash. We did the same, went back a couple of days later to figure out what happened. He had a harnesses and bucket seats in his car. Ill cut a long story short, and say, when we went back. We found some of his teeth at the side of the road. He broke his jaw,lost most of his teeth as when impact happened the harnesses ripped out of the mounting points and it was as if he was wearing no seatbelt.

By all means put a rollcage in a car, But make sure its a Good quality one, and make sure its welded in properly

Same with Harnesses, If you going to do it. Use the plate and eylett method, where you drill through the floor in the car, and mount it that way.

Also. Sparky

''MR2 Turbo = one scary car, they are lethal if the back end slightly gets out of shape its very hard to regain control''

Quite the Contrary!. Mr2's can be great fun to have sideways. You have to know how to control it, and of course if you go to far it will bite, but thats the same with anything!

Not been on in... a while.. but thought id just drop a line to wish you well and hope your recvovering well mate!

Best of luck with the court proceddings etc, but your switched on re all that legal stuff so im sure itl be fine :) lol.

Take care of yourself mate!

Si

I must agree Jules,

all upgrades in an on your car should be A quality and installed propperly.

Don't cut corners on things like seats/seatbelts just fot the price, better don't buy them at all then.

The seats from recaro/sparco/bride and the likes are priced like that for a reason, they are tested and approved. That costs money, simple as that. and correct installation is essential ofcourse!

How are things coming along Bourkey?

woooooooooo you my friend are very lucky i know how it feels to have crash or be crashed into my pics are on here somewhere of my polo g40 hope your okay now buddy didn't see this not been on here for awhile.

Cheers for the comments guys :thumbsup:.

Im feeling fine now to be honest. Im getting back to normal with my energy back now and im much steadier on my feet but the problem is my arm and hand. Due to nerve damage i cant move my arm as much as i'd like and my hand movements are very limited. Im have lots of physio to get it working again but nerve damage takes a while to repair. Im also not allowed to drive until my physio clears me.

At least i've got the new car to cheer me up :lol:

Bourkey

• 1 month later...

Just thought i'd update my progress as i have not been on in a while and a few people have asked.

My lungs are pretty much back to normal although im not allowed to fly for more than 2 hours due to the pressure. That wiil be for about 6 months.

I got very ill before an operation so it had to be postponed. What started as a cold got much worse as i don't have much of an immune system and my chest isn't so clever.

My arm feels pretty painful most of the time. I had an operation and it took a while for me to recover due to me being very weak and underweight. This means that the doctors haven't told me how it went yet but i have a meeting with them next week to find out how it went. I have lost the strength i gained as i can't move it again as it is all wrapped up. This is very frustrating as i felt like i was making progress now i've stepped back again. So i can just lift a laptop up.

My right hand still does not work. I obviously don't know how damaged the nerve is so i don't know when it will get better. My other hand hurts as well as im over using it due to my right not working at all.

The doctors have said im seriously underweight as i weigh 8 stone!!! I've always been slim and weighed aroung 10-11 stone but the doctors said i must have plummeted to 6 and a half to 7 stone when i was in there. Im on protein shakes to get my weight up and this should help my strength too.

I don't go out on my own and the only chance i get is if someone takes me in case i fall. I have fallen up the stairs twice which i was in agony from and i have bumped into doors. These are due to my balance being a bit off.

But im still alive and i'll continue to try to get better. :)

Bourkey

You will get there eventually Bourkey - I look forward to seeing you at JAE. Im sure all the other guys on here will agree with me when i say that we are all behind you 100%!

Keep you chin up!

:)

Thanks for the comments guys. Here are some more pics anyway.

This is what the inside of my arm looks like. The solid white bit down the bone is metal

bone.jpg

This is what the outside looked liked when they first took my dressing off.

P300309_1415.jpg

And some car parts on Snake pass when i was taken up there.

P110409_171702.jpg

P110409_171701.jpg

P110409_1716.jpg

P110409_1728.jpg

Bourkey