Anyone Explain This? Engine Starting Problem

My car has always started first time every time, no problem at all. The engine starts the instant you turn the key.

But last night about 3 AM I got bored so decided to go for a drive, turned the key, held it for a couple of seconds, could hear it trying to start but it just wouldn't. Tried again, held it for a good few seconds this time and still nothing.

It was late and I didn't want to fuck around outside making noise so I thought fuck it and went back in... now I've just gone out and this morning to try it again, first of all the same thing happened, but then I gave it a bit of throttle and it started and after a couple of seconds it ran fine.

Any reason why this happened? It's not had a problem starting before even in very cold weather or anything.

edit - just took it for a quick drive around the block... no problem at all and it now starts just as good as it usually does :thumbsup:

The plugs were changed around 10k miles ago (NGK Iridiums) but I have been giving it a good thrashing lately, is it worth taking the plugs out and checking them and maybe cleaning them up?

Anyone else got any ideas? I don't want to go out for a drive somewhere and then have it conk out on me so I want to be sure it was just a one-off problem and not something that's going to come back.

Mine did the same thing but on a warm-ish day n its never done it again....its been about 7k since service.

When was the fuel filter last changed?....tbh since ive been on here ive not heard any mention of anyone actually changing there filter....and to think most of our cars are reaching 12 years old (ok given that toyota parts are of top quality and stuff) we still have to change them.

Sounds to me like you may have flooded it. As you are used to it starting quickly you may have let the key go just a little to early and if it was about to fire and then conked out this can flood it. This used to happen to my old car sometimes. Just a thought.

It hasn't been too long since the last service, the only thing that hasn't been changed is the fuel filter but it hasn't given me any trouble before, this was just some one off mis-hap.

Everything apart from the fuel filter was changed less than 10k miles ago.

I might take it all off and check it over though, as deposits do build up on the dizzy cap and maybe clean the spark plugs off.

I might take it all off and check it over though, as deposits do build up on the dizzy cap and maybe clean the spark plugs off.

Yea just clean them all up a bit. Hopefully that should sort the problem.

take your plugs out mate plugs are a great way to tell how your car is running

The thing is, the engine starts and runs like it always has done, it was just that one time last night it didn't start, really can't understand why it happened unless it's something just starting to wear.