Hi

I'm new in this forum. As stated in the topic title I'm from Malta.

I've just bought a 1999 Toyota Starlet, however specs seem to be different from what I'm reading on this forum. My car is a 4-door, 1.3 petrol, manual with no extras whatsoever (no. A/c, no 5th gear, not even a clock). Just thought someone here would have some more info. regarding bhp, weight etc etc ;)

Welcome along mate

Malta is such a coool place! Loved it there on holiday ;)

I've never heard of one with 4 gears, but im sure somebody else on here can shed some light for you

adam

Yeah Malta is a cool place to live in, roads aren't that good to be honest, but you can't have everything ;)

It's actually a late 1998 car. It was bought new from the toyota agent here and had one previous owner.

The car has 1st-4th gear and reverse....we also have another starlet which is exactly the same (even with same date of registration), which was bought new. There aws a choice of 2 models if I remember correctly, Standard (STD) live the ones we've got and LX, which comes with 5 gears, a dash clock and some other extras.

Maybe the UK cars have different specs

Thats a real toughie there! Pop some pics up so I can locate some differences ;)

Presuming the STD model (yep.. we all know in English it means Sexually Transmitted Disease) (sounds like it is an STD... the amount of problems it has in comparison to the norm.. ;) ) is just the lowest spec ever? Comes with all extras.. removed.

Theres different markets for different countries, though Malta is one we haven't explored into... though if you can provide some pictures and some info.. I'd be more than happy to include it in the wiki ;)

Will take some pics when I have the time. Is there any guide on how to upload?

One thing which is noteworthy is that Malta was not in the EU in 1998. So this may be the reason why there is a difference in specs

There are a couple of imported starlets on the island, from UK and Japan. Apart from the extras, there are no apparent differences except different steering wheel, no color coded bumpers and lack of break light on the parcel shelf.

Another thing which might interest you is that Starlets imported from Japan are mostly diesel. Of course there are also loads of glanzas and gt turbos with same specs as those found in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...