didnt really no the difference between external and intenal wastegates until tonight when i done some reading. still needing a bit of help on a few things that i cant really find on google.

1) i know that you get different sizes of external wastegates. how do you determain what size you go for?

2) im unsure about the exhaust piping for the external wastgate, ive seen the manifold which vents a pipe into the atmosphere is this basically just like a screamer pipe but actached to the manifold?

3) where abouts do you put the external wastegate? this is proberly a silly question but its my first turbo car and i want to learn as much as i can before i start modding.

Cheeers Aidan

cheers mate just a bit confused. got a few other questions but will wait and see what people say about them first. if you have any just fire them up in this post mate, saves making another

1. 38mm is whats common on starlets

2. the pipe you say you seen on the manifold that vents into the atmosphere is actually were you attach the external wastegate then on the outlet thats were you usually connect a screamer pipe.

3. it goes on the manifold there is a seperate runner for it.

cheers for the replys mate. is the any need for a bigger wastegate?

i see does the wastegate just go on the end of that pipe that looks like its venting the the atmosphere?

"2. the pipe you say you seen on the manifold that vents into the atmosphere is actually were you attach the external wastegate then on the outlet thats were you usually connect a screamer pipe"

what do you mean the screamer pipe goes on the otlet? the outlet of what ?

Cheers Aidan

cheers for the replys mate. is the any need for a bigger wastegate?

i see does the wastegate just go on the end of that pipe that looks like its venting the the atmosphere?

"2. the pipe you say you seen on the manifold that vents into the atmosphere is actually were you attach the external wastegate then on the outlet thats were you usually connect a screamer pipe"

what do you mean the screamer pipe goes on the otlet? the outlet of what ?

Cheers Aidan

i dont think there is a need for a bigger wastegate thats what gets supplied with tdo4 kits so iam only guessing no stick to 38mm

yes the wastegate goes onto the pipe that looks like its venting into atmosphere.

there is 2 connections on an external wastegate.. 1 to attach to the manifold the other is for the screamer pipe there is also kits out there that the screamer is actually plumbed back into the exhaust system.

You only really need an external wastegate on large turbo's when running a lot of boost and the standard internal wastegate can't flow/expel enough of the exhaust gas to control the boost.

On a ct9 or normal hybrid its not really required, however the new td12 hybrid does require an external wastegate.

As said the external wastegate (ewg) connects to an extra runner from the manifold then on the outlet of the ewg you have the screamer pipe (its rare for the outlet of the external wastegate to be routed back into the exhaust but it can be done if you don't like the noise from a screamer)

The wastegate (internal or external) is closed until the preset boost level (dictated firstly by the spring strength in the wastegate then the setting on any boost controller) then once the desired boost is reached the wastegate is opened just enough to keep the boost at that level, so the screamer on an ewg only makes a noise when you are boosting hard and the wastegate needs to open to control the boost.

i dont think there is a need for a bigger wastegate thats what gets supplied with tdo4 kits so iam only guessing no stick to 38mm

yes the wastegate goes onto the pipe that looks like its venting into atmosphere.

there is 2 connections on an external wastegate.. 1 to attach to the manifold the other is for the screamer pipe there is also kits out there that the screamer is actually plumbed back into the exhaust system.

the wastegate does right on the end like where there is a flange?

i heard that if its plumbed back to the exhuast it can sometimes be more restrictive?

cheers aidan

cheers for the info there wallace. so for the hybrid ct9 on 1.2 bar of boost it would be ok just to run a internal wastegate? can you use a ebc with the internal or is that only possible on a ewg? cheers aidan

some people still experience creep on standard ct9's and hybrid ct9's, if you go for ext wg your guaranteed no creep, i went for the WEPR kit which is great and made hell of a difference, holds boost brilliant.