Interesting Info On Mot Emission Rules

Hi guys, I had the Evo mot'd a couple of weeks ago. Bear in mind I'm running a full 3" turbo back exhaust with no cat on a 1998 model and it flew through the emissions test. The reason for this is that as there is no direct uk counterpart, the emissions test has to be a non cat test.

Although this would only benefit the guys who own imports, it could well get you out of a hole when it comes to mot time. Plus it means that anybody with a Starlet turbo can go full decat without having to worry.

Yep mate they put mine through a none cat test as all they could compare it to was either ep91 uk spec or an ep80 or 81 cant remember. So registered for none cat test and passed peice of cake :)

All mot testers have to have a current copy of the rule book. Tell them to get the rule book out. My mot tester did and it clearly states in there that if the exact model of the vehicle is not listed on the system the a non cat test has to be performed for emissions.

Yep mate they put mine through a none cat test as all they could compare it to was either ep91 uk spec or an ep80 or 81 cant remember. So registered for none cat test and passed peice of cake :)

Trust me, if the Evo can pass this test then anything can lol!!!

Looked into this some time ago.

As im using a GT engine in my kitcar and there is no data on the register then i don't need a CAT. Mine should sound quite nice with no cat and an exhaust that is only 300mm long :):)

Does this not apply anymore? Had my MOT this week and they were certain I had to have a CAT even though I said there is no UK model. In the end I had to put the CAT on and they did the test to those limits on the flow chart. According to the flow chart you should have had a CAT test, i think you just got lucky.

mot-cat.gif

just needs to pass the generic idle test. which is set HIGH. it only needs finer testing if there is the specs on the vosa machine, which there isnt.

my 200 just pissed an MOT emission test. that has full 3 inch turbo back jobby.

my old starlet even passed it, and that was... quite rediculous.

Does this not apply anymore? Had my MOT this week and they were certain I had to have a CAT even though I said there is no UK model. In the end I had to put the CAT on and they did the test to those limits on the flow chart. According to the flow chart you should have had a CAT test, i think you just got lucky.

mot-cat.gif

Personally i think they are wrong!!!! If you go through the chart you have posted up then it comes out as a 'non CAT test' which has the higher limits on so cat not needed. :)

For any year gt/glanza the flow chart you have shown means that you don't need a CAT!!!

Jason :)

If you follow that chart for a 96 V it comes to cat test using limits on the left. Its only non cat for car used between 1st Aug 94 and 31 July 95, well thats how i read it.

Sorry mate, i see it now. I think you are right, if its after 95 then it goes to section 8, so you need a CAT. Might be able to blag it at a few places???

Luckily mine is a 94 so i can still blag the system :)

Nope sorry mate i have doone alot of research into this as mine failed not long ago. Mine imported and i even spoke with Vosa o na few occasion. conclusion is any car (Glanza) Has to be under 0.35 on c02. thats a figure for all cars as a standard form. usualy each car has a specifed digit to be under but if one isnt on the system the chart says has to be under .35. by the way the Galnza are on the new Vosa eddtion beign sent to all MOT centres :-D i got the letter sittign in front of me lol

diffrent topic but my bros colt faild his m.o.t because his exhuast was to loud but the day before i had mine done same garage same bloke and my exhaust is way louder and mine passed. and his emissions were perfect. he must of been having a funny 5 mins wat a tw@

OK question for guys with front exits how do they fair when it comes to MOT time? :unsure:

Pretty sure I will be running a front exit.

I hate MOT's they always seem to be funny with me even on the slightest thing must be because its modified :p

it doesnt matter if its front or back exit

if you have a import theres no uk equivalent so they have to do a basic emissions test otherwise known as a pre-cat test

aslong as its not severely pissing fuel out in mass numbers its very very unlikely you can fail a pre-cat test

• 2 weeks later...
conclusion is any car (Glanza) Has to be under 0.35 on c02. thats a figure for all cars as a standard form.

that is true. but that is rediculously high. if your car is pumping that out, the MOT is the last of your problems!

if my old starlet passed its MOT, any starlet can pass.

GLANZA V IS NOW ON THE VOSA DATA BASE.

i doubt that; but even if it is, it wont have any specifics. the japs dont do CO2 tests (not when the Vs were flying about anyway), so there would be nothing to run it against. VOSA use manufacturers specifications to gauge the tolerances on specific cars. there are none for starlets.

i can confirm I've spoke to an MOT tester recently and any import starlet wether gt or glanza V is exempt from emissions test due to no UK exuivalent on the VOSA database hence a basic/pre cat emissions test to be carried out

in other words if you have an import your car will pass an emissions test unless your car is so badly overfuelling its shooting out 10 foot flames on idle lmfao

in other words if you have an import your car will pass an emissions test unless your car is so badly overfuelling its shooting out 10 foot flames on idle lmfao

That will be me then :D