So i read LOTS of stuff about heat wrap, and i want your opinions!!

1. does wrapping the manifold make it crack faster or prevent it from cracking?

(does the steel crack from high temps or from the rapid cooling<>heating process)

2. do you want to wrap intercooler pipes?

(does this keep the pipes from heating up or trap the heat in the pipes?

any other info/opinions are very welcome!!

im not too gened up on heat wrapping,

it does depend what matierial you rap it in, i imagine if you rap shitty stainles t304 like one of those crappy jap speed ebay manifolds it would crack pretty quick to be honest..

when they are utilised correctly they do keep the engine bay cooler

In my opinion although ive never used it so cant comment on its effectiveness, i think its a total rip off and i think money could be spend better elsewhere.

you've obviously never used it....

the amount of heat they keep within manifold is shocking. you can hold your hand centimetres above the mani and hardly feel the heat.

with regards to the faster spoolup and that other performance related stuff you read; its not noticable in reality. however, the sheer drop in under bonnet temperatures is worth the money on its own, especially when you consider how cramped the starlet engine bays are.

it also regulates the warmup/cooldown of the manifold (ie. it's slower) which greatly helps with keeping manifolds crack free.

if youre using a tubular manifold, wouldnt even think twice about buying heat wrap.

Rick.

it does depend what matierial you rap it in, i imagine if you rap shitty stainles t304 like one of those crappy jap speed ebay manifolds it would crack pretty quick to be honest..

vs.

it also regulates the warmup/cooldown of the manifold (ie. it's slower) which greatly helps with keeping manifolds crack free.

Personally i think everybody agrees it helps to lower under bonnet temps, whatever the impact of that effect may be.

Mainly the question is:

Does it prevent or provoke cracking???

lots of different very strong opposing opinions...

and what about wrapping intercooler pipes?

my point in question, if you rap something thats prone to cracking it will just make it worse.

if you wrap good grade mild or stainless then you have nothing to worry about and it will do its job

Don't wrap intercooler pipes in heatwarp. Use reflective tape for that..

Re. The mani if you are going to do it, make sure it's really clean, as any dirt under the wrap will give you headspots which will promote cracking.. O personally think it's good stuff and wrap the whole thing.. But if your worried about cracking leaving the welds exposed and just wrapping the pipe is supposedly better ..

i was planning on building a custom intake that went down and round the front of the engine and over the manifold and down to the gap between the radiator and the coolant bottle. would it be wise to use that reflective wrap to avoid heating the intake air?