Hdi Intercoolers

I have recently been looking at going down fmic route in the near future and have been lookin at the various fmic's on offer.. the HDI offers the best value, however as I have read with many of the peeps who have chosen this fmic its the core size that seems to be an issue due the cutting of the front end and the slight lag if used with a stock ct9.. I have emailed them to see if any revisions are being made and they have asked basically what other thoughts are and what core size ideally would we like to see ?

heres the response I got..

Hi Glen,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We are currently looking into changes for the intercooler for the EP91 Starlet kit. However at this point we can not give you a clear time line of when this will happen with some many developments being undertaken. Perhaps you can give us and indication from the consensus of the Starlet scene of the thickness that would best suit the front of the car. We appreciate your feedback.

Thank you

Regards

Justin Cantwell

Hybrid Development International

the Hdi core size it roughly about the size of greater london.

in my opinion, it is absolutely rediculous. it is way too big for a starlet.

the wepr kits are a decent size.

but id recommend go custom, get one that fits perfectly. asl bill what size his one is, as when we fitted that it was literally perfect.

I like the Hdi kit especially the piping route and where bov is positioned , I def would like to see a revised version and as you say rick the core is way too big.

what sort of core do you reckon dimension wise would be better suited.. any opions guys ? :thumbsup:

Pretty sure these are the dimensions:

OVERALL SIZE = 71cm x 23cm x 6.5cm

CORE SIZE = 56cm x 23cm x 6.5cm

INLET/OUTLET DIAMETER = 57mm / 2.25"

It was a great fit, the bumper needed some slight trimming around the piping but the core slotted in great, whilst keeping the crash bar as you can see.

the Hdi core size it roughly about the size of greater london.

in my opinion, it is absolutely rediculous. it is way too big for a starlet.

the wepr kits are a decent size.

but id recommend go custom, get one that fits perfectly. asl bill what size his one is, as when we fitted that it was literally perfect.

TOTALY AGREE!!!! Fact i couldnt have said it better mate, if the glanza can run fine on an arc tmic (which is just bigger than standard)... then why would a starlet need an fmic the size of a bloody engine bay... its the only fmic kit i know of that has its own electrical boost control thingy..

its a waste of space.. and im beggining to not like the look of half these starlets with the huge assed fmic hanging off the front bumper thats been chopped to sh*t

I don't know if it's just me or does anyone else thing they should make them "wider" rather than "taller"?

I'll get a pic if anyone doesn't understand but if you look at half of the intercoolers they leave gaps either side of them and are partly covered up by the top/bottom parts of the bumper, so why don't they just make them wider, it would fill the bumper much better.

your 100% correct ste91

look at this pic, i think a intercooler like this would ROCK!!

jamglanza-1.jpg

covering full front and not in need of any trimming at all it seems.

i am gonna fit a 98spec bumper soon, and i will measure up what size a intercooler should be to match above picture.

I really hope HDI listens to the community, wonder why they ever chose such a redicuolosly big core to start with.

If your wanting a wider fmic ste, it starts to get more complicated. because youll still have to find where the pipes will be located to reach the fmic. the stated size is actualy perfect; OVERALL SIZE = 71cm x 23cm x 6.5cm

very ideal size for the starlet

if you want a wide fmic... look for a laguna deisl fmic... very wide and slim

The turbo to intercooler pipe, they ALL go straight up by the manifold, but if you rotate the housing on your turbo pointing down, wickedEP will make you a MUCH shorter turbo to intercooler pipe greatly reducing the length of pipe needed :ph34r:

im guessing you guys are all refering to the hdi coolers on glanza's?? Anyway i got mine behind a gt bumper and the only trimming i had to do was a tiny bit behind the fog light :ph34r: i also moved the bonnet catch support back.