Alright guys, this might sound daft but i was wondering how people on here launch their cars?

For example on a quarter mile or set of traffic lights on a private road.....

Do you hold it on the clutch bite then go, or get the revs perfect with the clutch in, then just drop it?

Alright guys, this might sound daft but i was wondering how people on here launch their cars?

For example on a quarter mile or set of traffic lights on a private road.....

Do you hold it on the clutch bite then go, or get the revs perfect with the clutch in, then just drop it?

all i do is hav it in 1st hold clutch in, build revs up and pop the clutch straight off wheel spinning, but feathering the acceleration to try and keep grip.

Try getting just the right amount of revs, ideally find your biting point, and try dialling in different amount of revs, you want as little wheel spin as possible, its all about practice really, just dumping your clutch at high revs will bog your engine down, maybe induce lots of wheelspin, and kill your clutch:)

Damien

i always get the revs to about 3k have the clutch just before the bite and when it goes green let the clutch up quickly but not band it up straight away cause if i dump the clutch and bang the revs on then it spins and i dont like spinning lol. if you get a quick start but control the clutch and revs to stop the wheels spinning you get a much quicker start lol

• 2 weeks later...

To get one over on an opponent. i engage in conversation about there car, there usually to distracted to notice the light turning green. then i shoot off before he has even got it in gear! =]

On a serious note, I haven't done much launching so its been interesting to see how other people get a good start, so i don't have to cheat anymore ^^

first spins too much so i set my times in second gear launches :wacko: a little tip for track days though,learn to brake boost,say your stuck behind a slow car and dont want turbo lag, hold the throttle and brake on for a couple secs so the boost can wind up,then release the brake and you got no lag :lol: handy for single lane to dual carriageway overtakes also (not condoning streetracing)

first spins too much so i set my times in second gear launches :wacko: a little tip for track days though,learn to brake boost,say your stuck behind a slow car and dont want turbo lag, hold the throttle and brake on for a couple secs so the boost can wind up,then release the brake and you got no lag :lol: handy for single lane to dual carriageway overtakes also (not condoning streetracing)

Interesting, This do any harm do the clutch/box etc? Should really learn left foot braking =]

It's easier to just drop it down a gear to be honest it's not as if there's really any lag on a CT9.

And I definately wouldn't want to use it on a track, would heat the brakes up and encourage brake fade.

As for launching, traffic lights make good practise. :wacko:

It's easier to just drop it down a gear to be honest it's not as if there's really any lag on a CT9.

And I definately wouldn't want to use it on a track, would heat the brakes up and encourage brake fade.

As for launching, traffic lights make good practise. :wacko:

every little helps :lol: its not like your doing it for ages. give it a try! loads of racers use this method

I can drive my Polo pretty well as it is.. it's only like 60bhp but with the coilies and wide wheels etc it drives like a go kart.. i cant left foot brake for shit though lol, but im getting double clutching down pretty well for down-gearing into turns etc..

I'll just need to learn to get the power down efficiently when i get the Glanza..

Small bit of info for you guys that want maximum traction:

Under acceleration - as well as in braking and cornering -

there is a definite traction limit. This is established by the

coefficient of friction between the tires and road, which is

limited by the type of tire, effectiveness of the car's

suspension, road conditions and balance of the car.

Generally, on a dry road, maximum traction occurs when

there is approximately 8 to 15% wheelspin. This means a

tire develops its most grip when there is actually a certain

amount of slippage (due mainly to the elasticity of the

rubber tire). At this rate there will be a faint squeal of tires

and a faint grey line on the road. Exceeding this amount of

wheelspin, or limit, will result in less than maximum

acceleration. If you should begin to get this kind of

wheelspin, back off the throttle, feathering it until you have

controlled traction at maximum acceleration again.

Obviously, this traction limit changes with road conditions.

On a wet road the limit is around 2 - 5% wheelspin; on ice

0 - 1/2% wheelspin.

guy in my old work told me this when i googled it i was suprised to see it was true.

• 2 weeks later...

How will i launch a Auto glanza, i got 6.8 out of it but yesterday i tried it again and got 9.7 and then was pissed of with that time, so i tried erm about 4 more times and got 11.something.

I had a frend doing the stop watch... and we were at a set of light, there may be cases of being out of sync and stuff, but how the hell did we get 6.8 B) the other time.