Calling All 4efe Owners :)

All,

I am chasing more power in my 4EFE. I believe I have maxed out my engine but want to do a comparison with what other owners of 4EFE has.

I'll start:

- Full exhaust system; Pacemaker extractors, High flow cat, 2.15" cat back, 2.15" sports muffler

- 4efte intake manifold

- K & N Pod Filter

- NGK Iridium Spark Plugs

- Top gun ignition leads

- Oil catch can with custom made brackets

- Custom made high lift cams

- TRD 0.5mm headgasket

- Mild ported 4efte head

- Microtech LT-8 ECU

- 4efte rods

I'm currently making 86 wheel hp. It should be making slightly a bit more now with a better flow exhaust system I just made. I'm still trying to chase up and find a suitable bigger throttle body for more power.

In Aus we don't have bhp calculation but basic rule of thumb is 2/3=whp of bhp. So but working the calculation backwards, I should be making around 128bhp.

Please post up your mods and let me compare :wacko:

DSC00179.jpg

That's quite impressive, I've always been interested in tuning the 4EFE but it's just not cost effective when you can spend the same amount on a turbo engine and get alot more power for the money.

I see you've raised the rev limit there, I think raising it some more and fitting some ITBs is probably the next step?

That's quite impressive, I've always been interested in tuning the 4EFE but it's just not cost effective when you can spend the same amount on a turbo engine and get alot more power for the money.

I see you've raised the rev limit there, I think raising it some more and fitting some ITBs is probably the next step?

There no point really to raise the limiter as you can see the power and tractive effort dies after 6800rpm. It's really trial and error playing around with a retune if I can find a suitable tb

That's why I'd suggest ITB's. In a KP47 race car from the 70's Toyota were getting just under 180bhp from a 1.3, at 9.5k rpm.

I'm not saying just whack some ITB's on and turn the rev limit up because obviously that car was in full race trim and was probably running high compression on high octane fuel and of course being a race car it didn't need to follow any emissions/noise regulations.

But as far as I can see there isn't a whole lot more you can do aside from ITBs/higher compression/higher rev limit.

You could also try a lightweight flywheel and pulleys.

I'd check on JAM's and Zep Racing's old race cars - they both raced 4E-FE cars and both highly specified. As mentioned, if you really want to go further the only real way is to use individual throttlebodies to maximise the top-end potential, and weight/friction reduction where possible - lighter pulleys, lighter flywheels, lighter internals (if you think it'd be worth the outlay), higher compression pistons (though the crowns on the 4E pistons are quite tall anyway), knife-edge the crankshaft and so on..

isn't 83bhp good 4 an n/a anywhey....what is it making a the fly? over 100 i presume...just focus on handling mods now because you have to make sure that you can use all of that power on the corners, because it no point of goin fast in a straight line and stock n/a starlet handling is pathetic...ive no cause ive got 1 :wacko:

Thanks for the feedback.

I have already planned to a bigger TB/ITB and a new tune (whenever I can find it)

I just want to compare with other 4efe owners on what they have and what I am lacking.

There is no point for going more suspension mods :wacko: Some of you may already know I have kept that part of modification up to date.

glanza 's' fuel rail and injectors....ecu as aswell from glanza 's'........apparently make a good diffrence

No use for my application. Fuel rail is the same with 4efte.

ECU as well is pointless, I have independent ecu

I dont really no how much bhp my sr has but im interested in what difference your Microtech LT-8 ECU made mate or what difference any different ECU can make, because might have to look into changing mine if it brings good possibilties of higher break.

I dont really no how much bhp my sr has but im interested in what difference your Microtech LT-8 ECU made mate or what difference any different ECU can make, because might have to look into changing mine if it brings good possibilties of higher break.

You'd probably benefit from getting the most out of the engine before changing the ECU eg Full stainless exhaust, Induction kit with a cold air feed, different inlet manifold, changing the leads & plugs..then look at changing the ECU perhaps? :D

^^ as what he said :D

Get other stuff done up 1st before moving to independent ECU.

Other than that, you can run piggy back ecu

hi

i am going the N/A Pathway

microtech &retuned N/A std internals / 2in s/less exhaust &extractors std out put =48kwatw final =54.4 kwatw

have corolla mani &7afe T/B ready to fit . haven`t done any mods to head or c/shafts

have looked @c/shafts but not sure the gain will make the mod worthwhile .unless i can buy already set-up

reshimming the shafts seems like a nightmare if you don`t have access to a set of shims & i don`t have a spare head

lyle

You'd probably benefit from getting the most out of the engine before changing the ECU eg Full stainless exhaust, Induction kit with a cold air feed, different inlet manifold, changing the leads & plugs..then look at changing the ECU perhaps? :D

cheers mate. I already have an air filter, straight through exhaust and corolla mani on it so mayb cud look into an ecu... what does gettin a new one do? and you recon i shud get a piggyback one or jus a glanza one?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 4efe coming together at the minute.

UK 4efe

4efte head cams etc

5efhe ACIS inlet manifold

5efhe 4branch exhaust manifold

Glanza S ecu

Apexi ~SAFC air/fuel controller

I will let you know what power it makes, can you tell me what you compression is in psi if you have a guage. Mine is 220psi with standard 1mm gasket and the head skimmed.

My old 4efe made 95hp at the flywheel with just corolla manifold and decat.

Im doing it as per Daox diagram. Have a two way vacumm soleniod with a check vavle tee'd back and this only open when my rpm switch tells it to open. Its not active at the minute as theres no need for the shorter runners just yet on the 4efe, im currently limited to 6500rpm.

Rpm switch was made by my father 30years ago for his bl mini and work 100%

tercelrefernce.com

cheers mate. I already have an air filter, straight through exhaust and corolla mani on it so mayb cud look into an ecu... what does gettin a new one do? and you recon i shud get a piggyback one or jus a glanza one?

Depends on your budget B)

Piggyback ones will do if you are on a tight budget