Test drive it, you may like it you may not :unsure:

They are pretty thirsty (share the same engines as Silvias), gearboxes can be tempremental when running big bhp.

Depending on spec I think your GT @ 225hp would have the legs on one

o lol ye i have beat him beffor thats y he wants the stazbom he is a local lad but im wondering if in time with some money spent on it could it be sumin special?

Change the word some money for ALOT of money :unsure:

My mates had 3 of them. Not particular reliable for a Jap car, prone to rust, gearbox can't handle much more than stock power, brakes are shit and very very thirsty.

Having said that they are fairly easy to get good power from and they are very quick. I have no doubt that a 300bhp GTi-R will see off my GT-Four, which is similar power, in a 1/4mile run. However I could out handle, out brake and look an awful lot better while doing it!!! Pulsars are quite an ugly looking beast.

right bad points- weak head gaskets, water pumps are a very common fault, shite mpg figures and if you dont know how to drive them fast the driveshafts arn't very strong too lol plus they aint worth a lot anymore and they do rust easier and hard to work on

good points, very reactive to mods, king of all hatchbacks power wise, amazingly quick when fully tuned, 4 wheel drive is brill on them can get the back end out very well and control is good, tractions quite good too

so many bad points but many good points too. they are by far one aof the quickest small hatch backs but if you want one be prepared to put your hands deep deep into your pockets lol

i remember reading about these that the only way you wont get gearbox fail is by having a Dog Box, if you have a standard one re-built it can still fail upon acceleration etc.... suppose with the engine you can just get it forged with a thicker head gasket and that would be fine.

if you do decide to get it just make sure you check it over and drive it for about 20miles so that its properly warmed up because thats when the problems start lol

The weak link is the gearsets themselves as they are the same as for the 1.4 Sunny IIRC!!

My mate put a Quaife box in but still buggered it up as he only changed the casing. The the full Quaife box (gears and casing) is around £2.5k but well worth it in the long run.

The engines are pretty good as its an SR20 lump so quite robust, they only start failing and blowing up if you push to much power/boost through them without uprating pistons etc, same with any engine really.

to be honest mate, if you are happy with the Starlet then keep it. A GTi-R will leave you skint unless its an absolutely immaculate car. I was very tempted to buy my mates first one and sell my EP82 but glad I didn't as piston number 3 went through the block a few days after he sold it, the lad that bought it upped the boost even more and that was the result!! Again too much boost with stock internals.

i have 2 mates both running big BHP pulsars, one approx 450BHP the other a 700BHP in the making monster, both are lucky enough to have company cars too as neither could live with thm on a daily basis, 400+ BHP your looking at gear boxes going, usually the gear set at that power 3rd is very weak my mate is on box number 4, once you up the gear set to quaife or PAR then you can see 500BHP but then the casing itself goes.

must admit if i had the moneyi would have 1 tomorrow as a toy as ive never driven anything so aggressive however as a daily user unless your gonna be happy at maxing out at 280ish BHP id say keep the GT

Jim

wel ye im gna go have a look tnite ill try take sum pics for you boys :) dno if i will do it though pulsars not gettin good rep so far on here like every one has told me gearbox will be naff in a few days but wil see wat happens!

thanks for the advice every 1 very helpfull :)