Well chuffed with the responce to my thread. thanks to everyone for your ideas and input. i dont feel so alone in NA tuning now lol. do any of you perform the advanced timing? and if not what kind of company will perform this for me? i.e. a normal garage or tuning company? as i said this tuning lark is all very new to me so i have tried to gain a rough amount of research. all i need now is to find out the effects. also i can only find FTE lightened pulleys. will they go on the FE?

cheers again guys

I've also been wondering about advanced timing, can anyone shed some light on what effect it has and where I can get it done? :wub:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really wouldn`t recommend messing around with the ignition timming (can easily be over done) i had horrible fuel consumption/pinking when mine was done randomly without a timing gun. I never paid any attention to it and when it came to light the pinking was really bad......my opinion = stay well clear unless your a tuner/know what your doing.

What it does is, cause the "bang" in the chamber to happen quicker/faster?

Details are sketchy, some people claim a rule of thumb for power-rise per compression ratio increase, but its pretty arbirtrary - I had the headgasket on a 5E-FHE and there was a pronounced difference, it just felt torquier throughout the rev range, but ofcourse its one of those incremental modifications that becomes more effective with supporting modifications; headwork, mapping etc...

Really wouldn`t recommend messing around with the ignition timming (can easily be over done) i had horrible fuel consumption/pinking when mine was done randomly without a timing gun. I never paid any attention to it and when it came to light the pinking was really bad......my opinion = stay well clear unless your a tuner/know what your doing.

What it does is, cause the "bang" in the chamber to happen quicker/faster?

Yeah I haven't got a clue on this so I would never try it lol..I am interested in getting it done though, properly..

Does anyone know what effect Advanced Timing has on driving characteristics? E.g. power, torque, responsiveness etc?