• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throttle body off an avensis/carina (7AFE engine code) a direct fit on a starlet being ~5mm bigger its a good mod

Do a search i did a direct comparison (avensis/starlet side by side) and noted everything down....

both ste and asad have given all the info

Another thing people bang on about is uprating the brakes when going for more power, for safety reasons. I sometimes thought "fuck safety" but then it's not all about safety, being able to brake harder and later means you can keep the power on for longer. On a track it would make a very noticable difference between standard brakes and a good brake setup.

totaly true. the starlet can close under brakes on most heavier larger cars.

And to be honest i dont care what people say "oh get a FTE/v/gt" etc etc its never as simple as that with insurance costs to think about and fuel and when you do go turbo the cost spirals out of control. Im very very happy with the FE its a little soilder as it is with a few little mods and a decent budget ALOT can be done with it.

i totaly agree.

covered 500 miles in this sr with the ignition advanced off its tits and loving how thrashable it is. forgoton how much good fun they were.

what i have planned centers around quite alot of whats mentioned + my own lairy cams + valve springs, and Keltec brand 8k ecus which i will be selling to raise the rev limit. and a slightly larger throttle body, the rev limit is important to get the most out of the cams.

fhe cams are not really worth it for 1mil of extra lift.

another factor worth experimenting with is the acis manifold to factor in some form of driveability in the lower rev range.

my only concern is the strength of the 4efe rods for 8k??????

but something that no one that has mentioned that id rate high on the list is the c160 six speed,

sixth is shorter than your standard fith. 1st and 2nd being almost the same with 3rd to 6th gear being closely stacked for better top end acceleration. makes perfect sense for the na 1.3.

ps the 7afe tb off the carina is not a dirrect fit. the larger tb has provisions for water channels. i tried this mod on my first sr and its not a straight fit. you could make it work though.

il fire down to a brakers tomorrow and hunt out an avensis tb on your recomendation asad

Enrico set me straight on the acis manifold

http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index....l=acis+manifold

In the case of the rods, where is most of the power achived....thought it was between 5-6k? if so shouldnt be much of a problem could always go 5E which is stronger??

on the 6 speed after reading around (tgtt mainly) they dont seem to be held all that high supposidly being weak etc.....

Yup, worth ago mate someone fitted one not long ago on here

Until someone does some serious R&D it's going to be shit for N/A Starlet's.

It's like if you want an exhaust manifold, you have no idea what to do because you can buy one that's made for the 5E but then nobody knows how it's going to perform because hardly anyone has tried it, and 4EFE specific manifolds are few and far between.

It's going to take either someone with alot of money to just buy a load of parts and try them (which nobody with half a brain is going to do because if you've got money to waste like that the chances are you're going to be driving a GT/Glanza).

OR someone to do some proper research and development and bring out some AFFORDABLE parts for N/A's. (Which I think Enzo is doing?)

End of day........its all about how many beans the parts cost im positive while looking around for honda stuff now that your an owner of one, the price gap for parts is MASSIVE!? (starlet vs honda)

Front braided lines (not sure rears are worth it since the rear breaks at ~15%)

bmc`s

new standard discs , vented at a push (i dont buy all the grooves/holes bull were not on a track FULL STOP they never get pushed that hard to need stuff lyk tht)

uprated pads (or standard)

just my tupence on this if your going to do braided lines you really need to have a full set i know 14% is minimal amount of braking but with the standard rubber lines (which there is quite alot of on the rear!!!) there is still expansion in the braking system!! Also if you did want to go for grooved discs stick to 10 grooves as any more than this drastically reduces braking surface!!

To add a little more what about a BCMS no one has mentioned these offer great improvemnet with the other braking mods listed!!

Once my mot is out of the way ill crack on with getting the 421 mani and decat finished and report back with the findings!! im hoping to see slight gains esp in torque!!

Well it's not neccessarily just the prices it's the amount of parts available, it's like the B series is very popular so you can get parts anywhere.

You still pay high prices for the parts but usually they're good parts that come from big companies, rather than just some cheap copy or badly made/designed.

In the case of the rods, where is most of the power achived....thought it was between 5-6k? if so shouldnt be much of a problem could always go 5E which is stronger??

on the 6 speed after reading around (tgtt mainly) they dont seem to be held all that high supposidly being weak etc.....

Yup, worth ago mate someone fitted one not long ago on here

the most power is achieved at that rpm but to get any decent power will require the use of some lairy high lift cams which naturaly push the power higher up the rev range. peak power for instnce will be shifted up to 7-7.5k

the price of honda parts are a joke. mani and exhaust for 1200. think il pass!

its looking expensive finding cams at the moment. chill cast blanks are expensive so im still looking for a decent cam supplier outside of the uk in order to make it more affordable.

with the six speed it a devided opinion but im pretty sure it can handle whatever torque the 4efe can throw at it. the same box is in the vvti celica and there are quite a few pushing 300+ crazy power..

plus Bean with the ep85 ran a six speed daily on a tdo5 with no problems for close to two years.

who fitted the tb??

@ste thats the plan, its gona be a slow process though but its not that many parts when you think about it. im pretty sure there is a market for whats planned.

totaly along with some skimming and exhuast port work,

i now see where i went wrong when trying the 7afe tb. just need to loop the waterline.

definatly snatching one tomorrow. i have a corolla inlet manifold also.

will start a build thread tomorrow!

It seems with some research there is alot of potential with these engines.

This should be a great experience tuning this SR,

This ACIS manifold might need to be a sort of back up or plan B if you like, the corolla inlet and 7A TB, will have positive gains but if there is a need for that extra bit of power the ACIS could be plumbed in.

With concentration on other aspects of the engine, power and quicker responce can be achieved to a noticeable limit.

Its all sounding really good and should prove these arent to be underestimated.

Gary

ohh my god!! how many times do we have to tell you, we cant afford the bloody insurance or petrol! and no i wont save up! because i wont be driving a standard car for a long time, so times are hard and you gta deal with what you got :wub:

dont get me wrong i would love 2 fte my car or just buy a glanza or a GT , but thats in the future. rite now i have an N/A and want to make the most out of it

Anup

I completly agree with tuning of n/as as most people have said they cant afford the cost of the fte's.

As asad has said set yourself a budget and concentrate on what you want to achieve.

Kaaty give the Lightened and Balanced flywheels and pulleys a try.

Me personally have not done much engine Mods and i was happy with my r&r result and i love the way my n/a drives.

Craig

Well chuffed with the responce to my thread. thanks to everyone for your ideas and input. i dont feel so alone in NA tuning now lol. do any of you perform the advanced timing? and if not what kind of company will perform this for me? i.e. a normal garage or tuning company? as i said this tuning lark is all very new to me so i have tried to gain a rough amount of research. all i need now is to find out the effects. also i can only find FTE lightened pulleys. will they go on the FE?

cheers again guys