Reliability Issue's

Hi All!

new to the forum, basicly iam looking to get a glanza V about march time!

I have been speaking to my mate off here who owns one and roscoc off ayrshire-cruise!

the only thing is they both have had some issues with there starlet's, and I was wondering has anyone else? I noticed a few people on here saying things like "my car hopfully will be back on the road for then" I just dont want to spend 2-3k on a car that breaks down constantly (I will deal with the odd failure)

what are owners views?

also, what other car's did you think of when buying the starlet? and why did you chose it over the rivals?

cheers sorry for the long read

Steven

its not the reliability, its the car you buy in the first place, if you buy a minter, look after it and you will have no issues, if you buy it from a Chav that boosts it up every single street, you can pretty much guarentee its going to have ALOT of issues.

I bought min year and a half ago, was in mint condition, the only thing that went on mine was rear shock absorbers, never ever had a single issue with it yet, touch wood.

this is the most reliable car I've ever had to be honest.

welcome to the site and good luck

its not the reliability, its the car you buy in the first place, if you buy a minter, look after it and you will have no issues, if you buy it from a Chav that boosts it up every single street, you can pretty much guarentee its going to have ALOT of issues.

I bought min year and a half ago, was in mint condition, the only thing that went on mine was rear shock absorbers, never ever had a single issue with it yet, touch wood.

I agree, Ive had mine over a year and had no probs. Its been great, only replaced the brake pads. :( Oh and the usual service items but thats a must on any car.

thanks very much for the quick replys!

enzo- cheers mate that is handy

dan evans, I understand mate, but how do you know if the persona who had it in japan looked after it? or is there some sort of rules and regulations for imports like they have to be in such and such a condition.

excuse the noobness of the questions haha

Have had the car for about 7 months now, nothing has broken in that time really. Only had to buy a new battery and might replace the brake pads soon, but that's just service items so far. Oh yea my actuator is a bit worn, I heard those were a bit weak on Glanzas, but costs about 20GBP for a new one. Other then that, haven't really read any common issues with them? Obviously in the end it's still a Toyota, so it will be pretty reliable, but like everyone said, also depends how mint your car is when you buy it. :D

As far as other cars I was interested in, that was the Civic EK4 (1.6 vti) for me. Really liked those, but this Glanza came for sale on the Dutch Starlet Forum (which doesn't happen a lot there :( ), so I bought the Glanza after some long thinking. I chose the Glanza, because Civics in the Netherlands are everywhere and (mostly) driven by petjesvolk (chavs), whereas a Glanza is really rare here. Also the Glanza was cheaper in taxes and insurance and had stuff like Climate Control and lots of goodies you (probably) wouldn't find on an EK4. To top it of EK4's were also slightly more expensive to buy.

For what it's worth most people saying ' when mines back on the road ' are refering to there rebuild of there cars/engines or whatever :)

It's a jap car with a jap engine and are pretty bulletproof if properly maintained generally.

I've had all the French crap before 106's Clio's ect.. And the Glanza is perfect where realiablity is concerned :)

The only issue so far for me is the gearbox :)

Hope that helps :)

Dale.

True that^^

I bought mine standard, I've had it for 8 months and all i've done is service it. Not one thing has gone wrong. I Warm her up and cool her down every time & i occasionly drive it hard but don't rag the tits off it =]

As said, One of the most reliable cars i've owned.

hi mate welcome

have a read at this, it will answer some of your questions.

buys guide for glanza v

that was amazingly helpfull full marks to the guy that wrote it!

michel belive it or not but iam also looking at a ek4. It is my mates and he just bought another type r (he has two 8-) ) but I prefer a turbo not a v-tec lol

will speak to my mate and see if he will let me have a shot of his in a car park to see if I like the drive. again guys thanks for the help

Guest cheshireglanza

im one off them people (hope my car is ready) its cause i bought forged glanza very cheap with loads off problems with the engine,but with thanks to my bro and his mate they have rebuild it for free and it was running last night with few things left to sort,just check the car over dude if it looks like chav owned it then RUN AWAY :)

Steven, I had my Glanza for 2 years it was off the road for 1 month in that period for burst rear shocks (a common problem) and I was waiting on coilovers arriving (this was back in the days before UKSC was as big as it was and there was hardly a trader to be seen!)

It run 1.1Bar on a mapped GReddy E-Manage and never once let me down. The car still goes to this day and is seen kicking about Kilmarnock.

They are fantastic cars with great reliability, so much so I'm contemplating getting a GT as a run about! Just find out that its not been abused. My advice would be buy one from a known member. Read up on the seller, see what issues they've had. Keep them well serviced. Also, you'll find the more there messed about with the more chance they'll break in my experience.

Things to compare them too....its a tough one because they are thrown into the 106GTi, VTS Saxo, VTi Civic class....which in straight line speed I'll agree with, however the starlet suffers from dated suspension design (IMHO) and these cars out perform stock for stock. The benifit of the Starlet is that more power can be achieved with minimum cost compared to them.

The knowledge is all on here be it in the older and wiser members or in posts made by Geo in the tech sections. My advice is read up lots and ask any questions. We were all noobs once. :)

Rubix never knew you owned a starlet! I think you're 180 is stunning if only I could get insured on one haha I think my biggest fear is spending so much for an oldish car, and it turns out to be a shed. Although as everyone has said it would be my fault if I picked a "lemon" so will be very careful when viewing.

Steven as ive said to you mate.. cars are brilliant treat it good it will treat you good.

all cars have flaws... the starlets.. are minor things.. such as the most annoying interior light.. its not very bright!

Ross you have been the biggest help mate, iam still looking to get one end of March and if I dont find one I will just hold off until I find one!

I know this is off topic but is anyone going to Trax this year?

You know it's true :p

Although my car has been generally problem free, it's been off road for a good while waiting on parts. And since I have changed pretty much most parts on the car from when I got it, I expect a few teething probs due to me being a cowboy :)

Nah I'm going offshore the morn, won't be here this weekend :p

What's going on in Aberdeen?

my ep82...

driver side window regulator...

head gasket went...

big ends went...

gearbox mount broke took a chunk of the gearbox to...

and cv joints... think i didnt buy the right gt :)...but its geting ther now :thumbsup:...no problems bar one of the cv's needn replaced *touch wood*

but tbh my old pug 106 was more reliable.. i dont thrash my cars and i maintain them much as i can :)

my ep82...

head gasket went...

big ends went...

and cv joints... think i didnt buy the right gt :thumbsup: ...but its geting ther now :) ...no problems bar one of the cv's needn replaced *touch wood*

but tbh my old pug 106 was more reliable.. i dont thrash my cars and i maintain them much as i can :)

Hmm thats because your a chav ;)

my ep82...

head gasket went...

big ends went...

and cv joints... think i didnt buy the right gt :) ...but its geting ther now :thumbsup: ...no problems bar one of the cv's needn replaced *touch wood*

big ends went in my mates n/a although that was due to pure thrashing constantly,although ive been told starlets a notorios for having sof big ends..

I blew a diff in my n/a and two engines, but I used to drive that like a c*nt :thumbsup:

Driver window reg in the GT (common) and melted a piston.

Pistons are the weak point in these motors, dont like too much boost.

As long as you find a decent, cared for example there shouldnt be a problem :)