Ive just done a compression test on a cold 1993 GT 4e-fte. Open throttle.

Looking from the front,left to right.

1. 160 psi

2. 148 psi

3. 150 psi

4. 141 psi.

I re-tested the 1st cyclinder as it was largely different from the rest and ended up receiving a slightly higher result.

I only tested the other 3 cylinders once

Would the engine being cold have any effects etc?

How does it look?

Cheers ^_^

Mitch

Put a tea spoon of oil in each cylinder and retest. If compression raises then you have worn piston rings. What mileage and boost have you.

Genuine toyota headgasket £30, Toyota rings £70, valve stem oil seals £70. Thats her rebuilt, job done.

Also a leak down test ie blow air into spark plug holes will tell you if youve a leaky valve

As far as i am aware. Its ran standard boost since factory. The car is currently off the road and has been ran once or twice over 4+months.

Approx 95k miles

I wish it was as simple to just rebuild the engine. but its alot of time and effort... ive never taken an engine out of a car before.

However... i think i would consider it depending on how bad the engine really is.

Think im going to re-test it once warmed up. A possibly theory could be that becuase the components arent at operating temp.. the rings wouldnt of expanded creating a tight seal.... meh. i hope.

Mitch

what youve said is why its always low when cold, and you shouldnt do it like that.

the engine build isnt hard mate, its a learning curve. and there are videos from chris i think it is from greece, where he has talked through a complete engine build, with correct torque's and everything.

Scot-ish- yeah dude, im farely competent with my hands etc. Im just paranoid i would take forever and end up not finishing it.

Right UPDATE. I did a re-test once the engine had warmed up to normal operating temps. I received:

:rolleyes: wheeey, now thats an improvement.

For any one using the search bar;Compression test when the engine is warm/just ran.

Mitch