Idle Control Valve

How can i clean my idle control thing, My car doesn't have a steady idle. We have put NGK plugs in when doing the service, and has made the idle a bit steady though still the RPM drops a fair bit when the RAD fan kicks in. Also when idling at lights the RPM go up and down by them self lol

Can you tell me how i can tidy the valve up? Pics welcome :)

Im not sure if i should give any advice seem's some people dont like it lol

If you have a steady idle once you have turned the lights on then thats normal i dont think you need a idle control valve....starlets suffer bad from earthing even just puting the window up drains the power so most people get a earthing kit that sometimes helps

if your car is idleing funny with out useing any power sorce at all then i would say it was the idle control valve

haha be carefull what you say mate lol, don't want to get your head bitten off!

The car does idle funny(rpm go up and down for no reason) all the time for no apperant reason?

Also since i got the car back from MOT seems to have a power loss, now i don't know what PSI it is boosting at now because i don't have a gauge yet lol, but feels slower, the speedo doesn't shoot up the same way when under boost lol.

but back to topic i would like to give it a clean to see if it does sort the idle problem out. i'm not so bothered about the rpm going up and down, it's just that when it goes down to a certain point, one of the belts begin to squeeck and that just pisses me off, you can't imagine it!

i did mine on monda and noticed a slight diference, but mine wasnt too bad in the first place.

look on the left of the inlet manifold, youll see a plastic thing bolted to the side with a plug going into it, thats your icv, take the plug out, theres 2 10mm bolts holding the icv in, take them off, pull it out of the inlet mani, then theres a pipe conected to the botom, take that off and its out,

in the middle of the icv theres 4 little metal hooks pining the two halfs together, prize them away, i used a knife, then take it apart and youll see a little 'thing' in the middle, its about the size of a 10p and made from copper, take that out very carefully!!! dont snap it because its flimsy, and theres a little spring in there too so keep an eye on that. then give everything a right good clean, i used cotton buds. put it back together being carefull not to pinch that little copper thing when you put the two halfs back together.

bobs your uncle and its doone! wooo.

it took me 10mins tops to do the hole lot, its well easy. :)

How can i clean my idle control thing, My car doesn't have a steady idle. We have put NGK plugs in when doing the service, and has made the idle a bit steady though still the RPM drops a fair bit when the RAD fan kicks in. Also when idling at lights the RPM go up and down by them self lol

Can you tell me how i can tidy the valve up? Pics welcome :)

all right fella, your idle control valve is located under the throttle body and iz a thermostatic valve subject to coolant temp. very basic and do not normaly go wrong. on som of the N/A starlets this is a electric operated valve, but the throttle body still has coolant pipes to heat it up slightly. be very carefull thw if taking apart as thr are four pipes to coolant 2 air charge do not mix thm up.

check your ignition timing mate. also put a vac gauge in and check manifold vac at idle with the throttle totaly closed. -15 to -24. the other valve mentioned in this topic is a vac control valve feeding a vac ressi running at the back of the mani feeding all the engines and cars vac operated systems. wich i normaly take off and plate up.

throttle body with idle air valve on

11012008068.jpg

and without the valve

11012008069.jpg

could give your throttle body a good clean up aswell. when i got the car that had my engine in it thaty would idle up and down alot at traffic lights and i cleaned it up and it never done it again.