I have a 2 1/4" back-cat system on my 97 EP91 Starlet and it has an exhaust that is like a tube that has been cut in half on an angle, doesn't really matter but yeah.

I want to get a new one, but I want to know what would sound best. At the moment it sounds pretty good, but it gets raspy when I first turn it on and when I hit high revs in second and third. I was wondering, what sounds the best? I would prefer a more beefy sound, obviously not over the top and nothing HUGE, I want to keep it around the same size as not to lose too much power.

I do like the look of the dual tips...so what effects the sound?

Thanks

Well I don't think you will be able to use an exhaust that will be good enough for both N/A and Turbo (if you decide to convert it in the future), but most people don't go larger than 2" diameter for N/As

Have you got any silencers at the moment or is it straight through from the cat? If it's completely straight through then that's probably why it's really raspy

I'm planning to get a Cat-back system, "Straight through" centre section to a 4" Back box. Another member on here, Sparky had this setup on his N/A and it sounded awesome!

There's a clip of it at the bottom of this page Clicky!