Brake Upgrade Time!

having decided that the glanza brakes are abit shit really ive managed to source some gt4 st185 twin piston front calipers/hangers/pads and discs for the amazing price of 50quid!!! quality.

i did a brake upgrade on my old colt, to fto twin pistons up front, it stoped dead as soon as you pushed the brake. cannot wait top get them fitted!!!

just a quick question now, can i still use my glanza brake line? i cant afford to stick braided lines on right at the mo im afraid. ill get round to that in a few weeks.

will do, soon as they arrive and ive stripped and painted them up. i ordered some aluminium/chrome aerosol the other day to do my rocker cover and a few other bits, you reckon i should do the calipers that color or keep them red?

yea 50quid was a right bargain. kennedy kindly told me of a guy who had the same setup for sale, 350quid he wanted. so i rekons ive done well good!!! dont think the breakers knew how rare them brakes are. i posted on the celica owners club and even they couldnt find me any of the st 185.

hi

i`m in the process of using the ST185 calipers in a brake up-grade i couldn`t find corolla ones . i foud that the ST185 disc suggested in DIY & spacer suugested to not be suitiable (the disc heights/offset is wrong &spacer sets the wheel to hang on the wheel studs not good me thinks ) i went looking for a disc that is bgger in dia &with the right offset found the RDA679 to be the one that matched my measurements ( std 238mm up-grade 260mm the max size that will fit inside the caliper &wheel without mods to mount). only thing needed was an adapter to match disc 66mm to starlet 55mm not a spacer so disc fits in original position on hub . i haven`t fitted any thing yet so info is measurements only do a trial fit &you will see what i encountered( it doesnt just work the way the guide says ) the std disc is too deep it need to be less by the thicknees of the spacer

i`m going to post a detailed DIY guide as soon as i have fitted them on &they work satisfatorly but so far i reckon i`m onthe right track . june /july @ this point

just some thing i found so far in my up -grade hope this doesn`t put you off

lyle

cool. adapter to fit? 66mm to 55mm? were about is it your talking about? if the spacer between the hub and inside of the brake disc, it shudnt put any more load on the wheel studs shud it? as its just spacing the disc to the middle of the caliper? the discs offset will still sit on the hub tightly just 3mm further away? surely 3mm wont cause a massive load problem? ill just have to pop the new caliper and hanger on when i get them and check its all ok. i thought the write up enzo did hed actually fitted them with the set up suggested and im guessing he got it to work? ive pm's him but hes really busy so as soon as ive spokent to him ill let you know what he suggests too.

I run these brakes on mine & paid double that price for em, thats a bargain, they work well, & they will fit the standard brake lines, I used a set of 4 stud prius discs vented & drilled cost me £70 new but it saves on drilling out some 5 studs to make them fit as i dont really like the idea of drilling a disc although others have done it with no problems, I also used a 5mm spacer behind the hub to centralise the disc in the caliper & the standard wheel lugs are fine to use I've used mine for about 9months now, no problems. Im running 1.6 bar of boost on a gt28 & a 50 shot of nitrous & still stop fine with these.

cool. adapter to fit? 66mm to 55mm? were about is it your talking about? if the spacer between the hub and inside of the brake disc, it shudnt put any more load on the wheel studs shud it? as its just spacing the disc to the middle of the caliper? the discs offset will still sit on the hub tightly just 3mm further away? surely 3mm wont cause a massive load problem? ill just have to pop the new caliper and hanger on when i get them and check its all ok. i thought the write up enzo did hed actually fitted them with the set up suggested and im guessing he got it to work? ive pm's him but hes really busy so as soon as ive spokent to him ill let you know what he suggests too.

hi the adapter is just to size the disc to fit the hub dia centre hole . the disc i suggested should fit straight on without the need for spacers to centre disc in to the caliper( i fouhd the std celica didn`t do this )i also wanted to avoid having the wheels sit only on the studs i sat the std disc inside the celica caliper when fitted &moved it around until it was central in the caliper the difference was exactly the thickness of spacer thus i reduced the offset/ height of disc by this thus saving the need for a spacer &the wheels sitting om studs only

i hope this clarifies my reasoning you will seewhat i mean once you do a trial fit with the std disc i found the celica &the starlet to have the same offset any way

i forgot to mention this was all done with parts avail in australia in case the import UK parts are different

lyle

ahhh, cool. cheers guys. i was a little worried for a miute that i just bought summit that wont gona work!!!lol. ive ordered some 3mm spacers like enzos post states so ill just get a grinding stone and take a little off the outside edge. Ill try it with the spacer first as i dont have the money for new discs at the mo, ive got some really good condition st185 discs for a tenner so ill drill them and use them for now, then when they need changing ill get the discs T.Q.A recomended.

the fto upgrade i did used 10mm washers to space the brake disc out so i reckon even the 3mm spacer will be alot safer.lol.

ahhh, cool. cheers guys. i was a little worried for a miute that i just bought summit that wont gona work!!!lol. ive ordered some 3mm spacers like enzos post states so ill just get a grinding stone and take a little off the outside edge. Ill try it with the spacer first as i dont have the money for new discs at the mo, ive got some really good condition st185 discs for a tenner so ill drill them and use them for now, then when they need changing ill get the discs T.Q.A recomended.

the fto upgrade i did used 10mm washers to space the brake disc out so i reckon even the 3mm spacer will be alot safer.lol.

hi

just remember every mm you space it takes whee&disc futher away from the hub &then they are sitting onthe wheel studs only not what iwould say is a safe way to have a wheel mounted on a car but see how you go .

lyle

i think lyle is talking about a spigot ring to locate the brake disc on the hub like what you get with aftermarket alloys plus when you put a spacer behind the disk it will space everything out so you wheels might catch on the arch if im wrong let me know but i dont think i am.

i think lyle is talking about a spigot ring to locate the brake disc on the hub like what you get with aftermarket alloys plus when you put a spacer behind the disk it will space everything out so you wheels might catch on the arch if im wrong let me know but i dont think i am.

hi

that is right . i didn`t want any extra load on the wheels studs that is why i searched for a spacerless alternative . just so happens the disc i found required a spigot ring instead

lyle

cool. if the spacer is a solid metal disc though with the centre hole bored out obveously, and just the correct size hole for the wheel bolt to go through, surely the weight wouldnt be an issue, as it would just act as extenshon on the offset of the brake disc?

I know exactly what your trying to explain though mate, If i had some spare cash to get the disc you mentioned id go for that one but just till i can ill have a go with the spacer and st185 disc.