Manifold Cracked, Need Advice

Hellooo

Need advice from someone with experience with there manifolds cracking etc...

Basicly ive found a couple cracks... removed it from the car and welded them up...

Only, after it had cooled etc i found that the heat stresses had caused it to crack in several other areas...

My question is;

If this crack ive found a problem? or should i risk it and try re-weld it..

This is the second runner by the way (number 2 cyl)

Crackrepair_800x531.jpg

(same crack)

Crackrepair14_800x531.jpg

The thing thats pissed me off is that its probably worse than the crack i found in the first place!

There are also a couple more tiny cracks.. but i dont think i shall bother with those.

Cheers

Mitch

it is the nature of stainless steel manifolds to expand and contract with heat so in the end most of them do crack however the better quality the manifold the better the steel the greater time before the crack

was that a japspeed manifold dude?

Narh, i believe its an original sps.. Ryno will know.

It must be around 3 years old... at least. I welded nowhere near where the current crack is lol!

Il just weld it, heat it a little, relieve some stress. Then start saving for a new manifold.

Any one got any recomendations for mani's?

Mitch

im going to have to fight the japspeed corner here lads

i had a full japspeed system on my black gt and as well as sounding awesome it also NEVER let me down once. i found the quality very good indeed and would reccomend them to anyone lol dont see how they can get bad comments there no where as near as bad as Autobahn are they lol

i had a full japspeed system on my black gt and as well as sounding awesome it also NEVER let me down once. i found the quality very good indeed and would reccomend them to anyone lol dont see how they can get bad comments there no where as near as bad as Autobahn are they lol

yeah but the exhaust faces nowhere near the amount of heat that the manifold and downpipe does, and there manifolds just cant handle it, and there actually pretty much the same as autobahn ones

couple of factors at play here....

a braced decat is ALWAYS vital! when fitting a manifold of any kind...

The later japspeed manifolds were braced unlike the autobahn ones or the earlier ones...

However ive still seen stories of them cracking on here and on tgtt....

go with sps, roadrunner, zisco, racetech...

thats fair enough mate the whole point of the forum is to hear different peoples experiences with the products

but all i cant say is when ed the japspeed rep was talking to me about all my problems and sent out a brand new one i took it to gbh (before it was fitted) and they put it on a straight edge and you could see the face was bent already he even poked the filler gauge through :thumbsup:

I also had a Japspeed manifold and decat.

The decat cracked but that was because my brace was broke.

As for the manifold I couldnt fault it, bought it 2nd hand and it had 6 months of abuse glowing red hot and never let me down, its all down to how well they are braced.

But as said Zisco, and RaceTech are about the best :thumbsup: