Hi,

I've been reading the threads on induction kits and it seems like a panel filter is the way to go for maximum performance without having to redesign the engine bay!

What panels are available for the starlet GT. I've seen the K&N from camskill for about £45 and there is a blitz one for under £40.

Any others on the market? whats the best?

thanks...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mikey

It increases the airflow coming into your intake.

The panel filters are a very good upgrade over your original one which basically does nothing for you. I would highly recommend the K&N :(

Its not a miracle worker so wont increase bhp by 10 or anything like that, it will however give you better acceleration in low and mid revs and give you a noticeable throttle response over the original filter.

You can find more info about it in the Nifty Part Numbers Section >>>K&N

Peace Out

Joz

From my own personal experience, the K&N was a very good replacement for the the stock air filter and made a noticeable difference.

If we are talking intake options for the starlet, me and Scutch0 have been there, done that, so I think our feedback is pretty reliable. If Im not happy with something it gets taken out. Im trying out a new induction option as we speak.

You cant expect much from just modifiying the air intake, you would need to do a number of things to get it all working as a complete setup, but the filtering is a very good start.

The K&N panel filters are top notch for the starlet anyway as well as other similar brands such as Blitz, hks etc and most importantly affordable.

Its the right choice if you're sticking with the stock airbox, good luck @flux!

It wont perform miracles but will make your engine breathe just that little bit better, and not to worry, many starlet owners still use the stock airbox/uprated panel filter and swear by it. You're not alone.

Make sure to read my K&N article in the nifty parts section to make sure you get the right part number!

As for me, Im addicted to force fed induction :(

Peace Out

J :lol: Z

I noticed a pleasant change when i fitted the k&n panel, i agree with wot Rich ecks and Joz say here, its not gonna give lots of bbhp or anything but it does make for less annoyin flat spots and slightly greater throttle response.

From my experience so far it was a good choice, tho i do have an apexi under my bed to give a nicer note someday.

As for insurance, i personally wouldnt bother to declare a panl filter, thats bein WAY WAY to pernickity for me mate, its notloike u'v superglued a turbo onto it or anythin, its just a panel filter. Others of course may disagree, i know some folk do declare them, its really your own personal choice dude.

Phil.

Altho the K&N is aftermarket I reckon its safe to say its a decent factory replacement anyway.

It honestly wont hurt your insurance Mikey, and you wont be in trouble if you had one in.

I have my induction kit declared tho, its not a thing that would bump your insurance up by much if any anyway, its lowering that puts a lot of companys off, thankfully mine allowed it, so good luck later on.

Peace Out

J :( Z

Ive know this fact for a while now that the k&n doesnt offer the best filtration, but only after buying it... so i stuck with.

if im honest, if i did it again, i would probably look about for a few other makes that offer better filtration, because after taking my throttle body off you could see the dust buildup (which aint good for any engine!).

and i wasnt too impressed by that and stuffed the standard filter in.

i would probably look into the blitz one on fensports site, look into green cotton filters, or look for a better flowing paper filter.

then if all else fails, go for the k&n. :(

Fair enough Rich! :(

Fair enough, so there you have it folks.

If you're sticking with the stock airbox, your options are either the k&n or another aftermarket filter such as Blitz, Green, TRD etc. Happy Hunting! For me K&N was perfectly fine, and I didnt get the dust build up. The choice is yours!

Peace Out

J :lol: Z

basically panel filters aint gona give you a huge increase in performance......combined with the rite type of exhaust you may get slight results but on the most part myself n im sure most people on here have done induction mods for the sound, placebo effect and look they have

k&n are a very big company who put alot of research into the science of there filters, however car manufactures do aswell so IMHO esspecially with bigger powered cars like the porshes and bmws the standard airbox is probably alot better.

my 2 penneth :(

peace out people :lol:

ive never tried a panel filter in my car as i was stupid enough to bang any old induction kit on at first. it wasnt untill i didnt have my old airbox that i learnt more about air filters.

basically i feel that heat soak is a masive problem with putting an open style filter on. i have now changed to a carbon encased filter and have felt a improvment in performance.

i wouldnt know how good using a panel filter would be but as long as its not sucking in hot air from the engine bay it would prob work well. take time to think about the options as it can only lead to xtra £££s if you dont get it right first time.

im on it wings ive just been notified on this,

this is totaly inexcusable,! :blink:

il sort this out the now but im afraid your posts are gone bud,

please dont let this put you off wings as you bring alot of content to the site,

il make sure this does not happen again.

My apologies @ BlueIcarianWings for moderating without warning. I am new to moderating activities but most importantly my heart is in it.

Please be more appropriate and considerate when talking to people who are trying their best to explain something. I believed that the discussion before was not healthy altho some people may have thought it was.

I am very proud to be able to have a moderating post @UKSC, and I am very much the same member who joined near one year ago, I just want to make the site a better place, and I believed that this thread was getting out of hand, so I left the most relevant information intact and got rid of the rougue data.

I stand by my actions.

Thank You.

Peace Out

Joz