oil filter removal methods?

ok guys, need to do a service when i get paid, so i need some methods of removing and replacing the oil filter... ive seen where it is, and i have no effing clue how to go about doing it!!

what methods do you guys use?

strap wrench?

do you remove any parts to do it?

cheers guys,

Rich.

I tried and failed the other weekend -- so I'm investing in one of the filter wrenches that grip from the front of the filter (tringular shaped thing)

Other people suggest sticking a screwdriver through it to remove it but personally I wouldn't like to be stuck with a bust filter if it never came off that way.

It looks like a piece of piss if you have removed your aircon though!

without aircon, you can pretty much do it by hand, reach in through the front and unscrew it.

with aircon, its an absolute nightmare. my mate who's very clued up and had the right tools had a job with it, took over 2 hours just to get the filter off, even with that triangle claw thing, the strap things are useless due to the angle/pipework.

i imagine its easier if you're using a genuine toyota filter as it has the actual...err....knobbly bits for the tool to grip, but the one on mine (and the one we were replacing it with) were both random generic filters, so didnt have the bits on them for the tool to grip.

did end up hammering a screwdriver through it, but there aint enough room to unscrew it that way, although it helps give the claw something to grip to ;)

Well I also now have a lovely FMIC pipe in front of the filter -- so I now have to battle around:

• The turbo above the filter
  • The AC belts to the left of the filter
  • The rad to the right of the filter
  • And now the FMIC pipe to the front!!!

alot of people using te relocation kits/oil coolers have problems in starlets with the oil being TOO cool and a lack of pressure (search tgtt, it was a while back i read it but happened to a few people), although i must admit i've been tempted too, just for ease of changing it!

take the plastic cover off underneath the car. (2x10mm bolts by the front bumper and 2x10mm bolts in the driver side front wheel arch)

the alternator belt in self tensioned, so get yourself a 13mm spanner and lever the tensioner and remove the belt. draw the path of the belt on a peice of paper before removal and keep it safe, you'll need it later.

get a 13mm swan neck spanner and slack off the pinch bolt in the air con pump. you do this from underneath the car.

ratchet, 12mm 'deep' socket, LONG extension bar. a nice 12 incher will be best. (oooooeeerrrrr missus!) and wind the bolt clockwise. dont worry, your not tightening it, your taking the tension off the belt round the air con pump.

when its very slack, remove the air con belt and keep it safe with the alternator belt. keep it on your workbench, you dont want to contaminate them with the dirty oil you'll be draining.

there are 4x12mm bolts holding the air con pump on to its housing, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom would you believe.

once they are removed, let the air con pump hang there, it wont do no harm.

you will now notice there is a bastard of a bracket covering the oil filter. its no threat with the air con pump out of the way though. just remove the 2x10mm bolts holding it on and whip it out of the way.

you will be able to see the oil filter now with more room than you could ever need. so dont spend a truck load on posh removal tools, just use the old one your dad got in the shed.

put the new filter on as tight as you can...but only by hand. dont use the tool to do it up.

and something that caught me out was that starlets use a fcukin well gay sump plug washer. you'll need a new one. a massive 77p from toyota.

starlets only use around 3 litres of oil. so fill it with just under 3 litres, then start the engine to fill the filter up with oil...as soon as the oil light on the dash goes out, knock it off and top it up to the correct level.

if you get your bredrin/ganksta/homey whatever you call a friend round you way to pass you your tools, it should take you around 45 mins. any longer and you work too slow. lol j/k.

if you need any more help mate then pm me...im a fcuker for forgetting what threads ive replied to.

laters,

NeilH.