How Hard Is It To Swap A 4efe

It looks easy enough, but I'm sure there will be problems as there's usually something to go wrong.

By the looks of it there's only 2-3 mounts altogether?

I'm not sure what to do as far as the gearbox is concerned though, do I leave it in the car and just swap the engines, or do I take the whole lot out, put the box onto the new engine and put it all back in?

Is there anything else I'm going to need? I'm probably going to do the clutch while it's out, not sure what else to bother with really, the engine that might be going in has only got 67k on it.

Take the box out too, easier imo. There's 3 mounts - 1 on the drivers side, a gearbox mount under the battery tray and the bottom gearbox mount which is in the middle on the back side at the bottom.

I'd wait around for a 5E and stick that in personally. Not much else you need apart from fluids I think..

A 5EFE would be nice but I don't have time to wait around really, I've got about 6 days to change the engine, radiator, windscreen, and get it through the MOT.

easy enough mate . as idrees said youd be better to take the box out 2 since 2 of the mounts are on it . if ya know your way about the bay and just a case of unplug ( take pictures of busy areas ) and then swap and plug in again

i have a spare 5efe :)

Very tempting lol but I've already organised to pick up an engine, rad, windscreen and brake discs tomorrow morning. ;)

If I had more time and money I'd have probably bought that.

I'm hoping to be able to get the engine in and out without taking the gearbox out if it's possible?

Split the engine from the gearbox, take off the engine mount, and then it looks as if it should lift out but there isn't much space between the engine bay and the side of the engine.

Is it easy enough to it this way?

So no fluids or anything will be spilt?

When my mate did his engine swap on his Fiesta I remember him saying something like when he popped the driveshafts a load of fluid went over his drive.

Gearbox oil another thing on the list then lol, what about seals?

No mean to be pedantic with all the questions but want to make sure I've got everything before I start.

Can anyone think of anything else I'll need, while it's out I'm going to change the clutch, cam belt, and alternator belt.

Fuel filter

Oil & oil filter

Gearbox oil

Coolant

Will I need any seals i.e. driveshaft seals?

• 7 months later...