Brake Stuck On!

Driving home last night and a deer ran out in front of me so i hit the brakes fairly hard and from then on the front left caliper has been getting stuck on. :)

I have taken the caliper off and looked at the pads and that but im no mechanic so couldnt work out the problem.

:)

Any ideas????

Are all the bolts tight, and not sheared? Ie could the caliper be moving?

I had a guy turn up for me to look at upgrading his brakes and one of the front carriers had a stripped bolt!

Other than that the classic one is sticky sliders, and rust buildup under the pad retaining clips.

Are all the bolts tight, and not sheared? Ie could the caliper be moving?

I had a guy turn up for me to look at upgrading his brakes and one of the front carriers had a stripped bolt!

Other than that the classic one is sticky sliders, and rust buildup under the pad retaining clips.

Well one of my bolts had sheared the thread off but i fixed that problem so it was kinda lucky my brakes did jam. Could it be a good idea to check for rust and wire brush it if there is?

Well one of my bolts had sheared the thread off but i fixed that problem so it was kinda lucky my brakes did jam. Could it be a good idea to check for rust and wire brush it if there is?

How did you fix the sheared bolt? :)

The rust will be thick scale, I scrape it off with a chisel normally (or blast them, protecting the threads and sliders :) ).

take caliper off carrier but leave hose attached get sumone to pump brake pedal till piston is moving out then push piston back in and repeat this methohed a good 10 times then reattach the caliper, wheel back on then take for drive to see if it fixes it if not then new caliper.

How did you fix the sheared bolt? :)

The rust will be thick scale, I scrape it off with a chisel normally (or blast them, protecting the threads and sliders :D ).

Only half the threads were missing so i used a helicoil kit to rethread inside of the caliper then used a slightly bigger bolt, worked perfect! :)

Only half the threads were missing so i used a helicoil kit to rethread inside of the caliper then used a slightly bigger bolt, worked perfect! :)

Fair enough, I asked as the bolts are a funny thread (metric fine) so you'd need to match it normally - doesn't apply to your fix though, unless by bigger you mean longer?

ok just got the caliper off and when the brake pedal was pushed the caliper doesnt move but i can easily move it by hand...? does this mean the piston has broken?

You can push the piston in by hand but it doesn't come back out when you press the pedal? = normally a failure in the brake lines/flexi's or the master cyl.

for reference, this has been noted as one of the few recurring issues with Starlets, mine did the exact same thing, front left caliper seized, had to get a replacement off a breaker. sorry to be the one to bring shitty news, but thought it was worth mentioning that this has happened to a few folk, i can only think of literally one or two, but it has been noted.

hope u get sorted ASAP.

Phil.

mine was so bad at 1 point i had to accelerate down hill, and the paint of the pads caught fire lol,

ive changed the piston and took the sliders out and gave them a brush with some wire wool, and replaced the piston bout 17 quid from toyota, make sure you grease the sliders before you put them back in and check the rubber gaitors for tears, this is most likely what wrong with it, if the rubber gaitors are torn get some new 1s of them because it will keep happening.

instead of bleeding the whole system we bent the pipe in half and clamped up the pipe to stop the fluid coming out.

my dad used to make brakes for a living so unless your sure about clamping up the pipe id deffo bleed them properly once its done