Anybody done an engine swap on a n/a Starlet?

Well i'm planning on changing the engine in my SR in the coming months, i would have gone for the 4-EFTE but someone tells me to put a 1600cc GTI engine from the Mk2 Toyota MR2. They say its straight forward to fit, but i don't think it would be. Has anybody done this conversion before? What are the tuning capabilites on both the 4-EFTE and the MR2 1600?

Also, is there any other engines that people have fitted in to the Starlet, apart from things like the 3SGTE as thats too much for me!

Thanks for your time :)

Well it's a 1500cc engine for a start -- thanks to a larger stroke. That's why it still fits on the 4EFE engine mounts.

Also what 1600cc MR2 engine are you planing to use? As far as I was aware the only 1600cc MR2 engine was the MK1 NA MR2 which put out 112bhp, the MK2 MR2's had 1998cc NA or Turbo blocks and the new shape MK3 MR2's have 1.8 vvti engines?

My mates got one in his garage which i might buy. He sed its from a Mk1/Mk2 cant remember which is which, but its the small old ones, C reg. He was saying its about 112 bhp but somebody on TGGT said its 150bhp..

Nah the 1600cc from the MK1 was defo only 112bhp. And it was the 2.0l from the MK2 that had 150bhp.

The 5EFE from the UK paseo is about 90~100bhp if I'm right in saying??

And the 5EHFE from the Cynos runs about 110bhp I'm sure!

Also the import Glanza S NA has a 4EFE with a different intake and a different ECU mapped for 100RON which makes 100bhp

Also you have to consider the Tax for your car will double if it goes above 1500cc

Yeah, we're planning on doing the conversion on the low, meaning not telling insurance etc. because theres no way my bro will get insured on it at 17 with 6 points. I know thats daft and if it crashes..he's fooked!!

So does anybody know how hard it will be to fit in the 1600?

Just a question though -- why do you want to put in a 112bhp 20+ year old engine which you don't know if it's going to be a straight fit when there's other , easier, comparitively powered options available?

Just the fact your mate has one lying about?

Just a question though -- why do you want to put in a 112bhp 20+ year old engine which you don't know if it's going to be a straight fit when there's other , easier, comparitively powered options available?

Just the fact your mate has one lying about?

No its not because he has one

Just so it will be something different, and it may have more tuning capability than a 4EFTE as i might supercharge it or something after some time..but if a 4EFTE is more reasonable i'll go for that

Putting a 5EFE or 5EFHE would be different... I'm sure there's maybe only 5 or 10 people in the UK who have done this in a Starlet!

Then if you're really wanting power a 5E is a great base as with the extra displacement you can choose a larger variety of turbo's for forced induction, and I'm sure you could get 300bhp easy! (...well not easily, a lot of sweat, tears and money I'm sure)

On a side note -- the production MR2 1600cc supercharged engines only put out ~150bhp.

yea the toyota series engines 4age silver and black tops and the 4agze are imensly amazing engines with rakes of tuning potential. not nocking the ealy blue tops and early models fo 4age which sare alot of the same design aspects

just do alittle trawling on the web and u will see what i mean

variable intake, individual throttle bodys, semi forged internals, hi redlines 10k, five valves per cylinder,

these are some of the things to be found on these engines,

and in my opinion by far a better option than any honda equivlent,

toyota is such a massive company to be able to do this.

if you were thinkin about it it is doable as three of the four mounts line up, but wiring iwill be a head ake and fabrication of the fourth engine mount,

it has been done before so easy to seak advice on

yeah ive just been talking to my cousin about it whos gonna help me fit it. we've agreed on a 4efte, so just keeping an eye out for one :ph34r: but i'm still saving up yet, plus got other things to do to the car like the skirts, rear lip etc.... but all in good time. should be done in the coming year :(

before even considering a engine change, i'd find out about insurance first.

me and si both wanted to do engine changes in our old starlets and gave up when it came to insurance,

my old car with engine change to 4efte

£2236 tpft

my glanza

£818 fully comp.

if you where going to swap and stay N/A the 5efe is the easiest. basically plug and play. the 4efte is pretty simple to though will involve some wirings modifications. the 5efhe is the same as the 5efe but uses a different ignition and timing system (i hope im right here correct me if im wrong please) and can be complicated to wire up and get running as a member found out much to his dismay. the 4age and 4agze wil need new engine mountings, shafts and probably wired up aswell but it is possible to do!! . the 3gste will definately need new engine mounts shafts and rewired, i also remember that the N/S inner guard needed to be modified aswell to get it all to fit in.

anything is possible if you have the right money and the right person for the job!

any comments or corrections welcome

gerard