i know this cant be good, but ive noticed a build up of oil around the venting area of my bov...

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00617.jpg

is this a major issue? should i be looking about for a new turbo in the meantime?

or is it relitively harmless?

the engine doesnt seem to be drinking an abnormal amount of oil either. and theres seems to be no smoke out the exhaust.

Rich.

Scutch mate,

Do you still run the crank case breather back into the inlet (shit design) or does it go through a catch tank?

That could account for some of the oil. Take off the piping to the IC and check how much oil is on the turbo side of the IC.

It doesn't look like a lot to me and does the turbo smoke idling? or on boost or lift off? It could be the above.

Worst case I'd say is the seals in the turbo, but if they get bad your car will just chuff out smoke for fun. I'd save up for a nice aftermarket blower :ph34r:

and I may be wrong here...but the crank breather goes into the stock recirc as standard yes? if that's still attached it could be coming from that unblocked pipe in the pic that drops directly onto your oldschool HKS bov :(

i heard this elsewere too.

it may be that.. i'll have to inspect it...

it doesnt smoke at all really, not even when giving it a bootfull, i get all the usual condensation and water vapor out the exhaust though.

the pipe you see in the pic is blocked off with a bung, so i dont think its coming from there, but yes the crankcase breather is still going into the recirc valve.

thanks for the help bud.

take it for a hard drive, then park up and let it idle for 5 minutes.. see if it chucks out oily blue/white smoke from the exhaust..

they can sometimes give out small amounts of oil if you dont run a catch tank, but generally speakin, if theres alot of oil residue inside the intercooler pipework then your turbo seals are probably on there way out...

if you find out they are going, i have a brand new set from toyota :ph34r:

looks fine mate. my arc bov was the worst culprit for chucking out oil, it just dumped the fumes (which is all it is, the fumes collecting and turning into liquid) straight down onto the rocket cover, which resulted in quite a mess. never used any excess oil though as it was just purely vapour collecting in a little pool of oil.

bit of oil in the intercooler is fine too mate, nothing to worry about unless its like, massive amounts, its just excess residue.

cool. cheers for that eks. i didnt think it was anything serious.

take it for a hard drive, then park up and let it idle for 5 minutes.. see if it chucks out oily blue/white smoke from the exhaust..

did this tonight, not even a haze out the exhaust! no smoke/vapor at all.

The reason you take it a long drive is to get rid of any condensation lying in the exhaust... (for those who didn't know)

And another tip is to hold a piece of kitchen towel up to the exhaust for a minute -- pull it away and smell it, if it smells like oil you might have a slight problem. If it's got specs of oil uh-oh spaghetti-oh you might have a bigger problem!