Questions About My Service This Morning

okay so did the service this morning as usual. last time i serviced the car i put in a magnetic oil filter and magnetic sump plug.

well this is the sump plug this morning

0837bfce.jpg

covered in metal conjealed oil, is this normal or is it a bit ott? wasnt sure.

I decided to use some cheap oil i had sitting about to do a flush of the engine aswell, some 10w40, filled it and ran it for 5 mins before draining all of that, seemed to be dirtyish again as it came out so mustve been atleast a little beneficial.

now going to put new filter on and fuchs 10w50 fully synthetic bad boy stuff.

next question.

getting a bit of oil under the engine, and wanted to check as im losing oil, i know the turbo seals are on the way out so thats part of it

58fb9748.jpg

it doesnt look to bad there but it is for sure slightly dripping out under that belt pulley.

is that a crank seal? and it seems to have decent access, is it hard to change?

last thing, is wheres the best place to take an ignition live from? Ive got a fcd wired up to stereo live so when i turn the car off and the turbo timer comes in the stereo is off, cutting out the fcd, and making the engine run like shit while its timing down.

thanks

Yeah mate the same thing happened on my old glanza it was leaking near the pulley so i thought it was the crank seal...but it turned out to be the sump sealant had corroded!!!

and i also had oil under the engine i even had it on the drivers side shaft because the oil was geting flung on to the pulley just like you have said!!

If by any reasion it dose turn out to be your crank seal i have got on here :)

Edit...Also you could give it a clean near the pulley then take your car for a spin, then have a look to see where abouts the oil is comeing from?

The sump doesn't have a factory seal/gasket on it so it's always a good idea to remove and reseal (even if it's not leaking). If I were you I'd definitely be getting that sump off, cleaned up properly and resealed.

i thought mine was leaking on the exact same bit were yours is, but it actually turned out to be the rocker cover gasket that needed changing, oil was trickling all the way down the back making it look like the crank seal/sump.

might be worth changing/ checking rocker gasket first

I`d get one, around £5-7 at the most.....can catch the odd stray bit of metal and tell you if theres something seriously wrong with the ammount it collects

too me, that is too much material on that sump plug.

yeah it is alot isnt it. I cleaned it right up and gave the engine a flush with cheap oil so hopefully ive got away with it.

could it have something to do with recently having the head ported and polished? metal fragments from that?

yeah i thought that but surely fragments from the head shouldnt be getting into the oil, they should get sucked in and burnt out. well its been a month since the head was done and ive ragged it since then and i basically did 2 oil changes in one go so should be ok now.

im way too tight, silkolene ent cheap haha

What is stuck to the magnetic sump plug is not from porting a head as the heads are made from aluminium and aluminium in not magnetic for a start.

If it was a kinda paste its likely to be normal engine wear although there does seem to be loats of the stuff for it to be that. If it was kinda coarse filings its likely it could be a sign of trouble coming your way.

Edit: When I say paste I mean if you smeer it between your fingers you cant feel anything coarse at all its just really thick smooth oil with a really really fine metal powder in it.

Gavin

What is stuck to the magnetic sump plug is not from porting a head as the heads are made from aluminium and aluminium in not magnetic for a start.

If it was a kinda paste its likely to be normal engine wear although there does seem to be loats of the stuff for it to be that. If it was kinda coarse filings its likely it could be a sign of trouble coming your way.

Edit: When I say paste I mean if you smeer it between your fingers you cant feel anything coarse at all its just really thick smooth oil with a really really fine metal powder in it.

Gavin

yeah thats exactly what it was, i rubbed it over the side of my oil bucket and it rubbed off smooth grey

maybe i left it a little too long between oil changes, will have to reduce time between them from now on

yeah thats exactly what it was, i rubbed it over the side of my oil bucket and it rubbed off smooth grey

maybe i left it a little too long between oil changes, will have to reduce time between them from now on

I would say thats the case here then. How long did you leave it? The photo is deceptive because the magnet wants to make pretty patterns out of the metal power/filings no matter how fine they are. Kinda like this:

bar_magnet_filings.jpg

Thats why you always want to get it between your fingers and feel it. lol

and thats a very good point about the head, cant believe i didnt think of that

Everyone has them kinda moments. Being blonde dont help you can imagine the stick I get when I have a momentary lapse of concentration. Blonde this, Blonde that. lol

Gavin