Fitting Springs

Ok, so I've got some new 15" wheels (just about!), and some lowering springs (25-30mm drop). Fitting either of these is well beyond me. What price should I expect to pay to get them fitted? (in London!) and can anyone recommend a good place to get it done?

At a guess,average hourly rate is around £40-£60.Roughly an hour a side,may be more or less.Hope you got some locking nuts for the wheels,else you may find your motor up on some nice red bricks one morning!

£35 for fitting springs, thats bloody cheap. Local garage asked £120 to fit them on mates Mk3 Golf, so he fitted them him self and it wasn't as hard as we all thought it would be!

The wheels are no probs -- don't pay anyone to do that!! It's just like changing a flat!

Changing springs on the other hand... it's ok to do yourself if you know what you're doing! You'll need spring clamps too! My mate forgot his one day when we were doing a pals. The spring nearly took my mates head off and that's no exaggeration!

You can get a strong rope and tie the coils together really tightly so they dont fly into your face.

got to be dumb post for today!! dont trust rope unless it has been certified by a materials tester!! and no one is going to certify a rope to tie down a coil spring!!! thats just stupid!! no use having your car lowered with your nice shiny new springs if it has taken your eye out in the process!!

shop around mate and see wat some of the garages local to you say!!

haha im not jokin i SWEAR

i was in my mates garage while he was going to fit springs in his golf and he needed some clamps. then his dad comes along, gets a strong rope and tied about 3 of the coils together, really tight! and when he opened the top of the suspension the spring did NOT pop out.

Okay cheers for the advice guys! As I've probably said, any mechanical stuff is way beyond me, even changing wheels!!

So far lowest I've been quoted is £235 cash. The guy says its gonna take 6-8 hours to do the springs and change tyres / fit new wheels. Is this right? Sounds like alot of hours compared wht you lot have been sayin!

um, no, he's having you on.

i changed shocks/springs myself in about 2 hours, reason it took so long is i have crap tools etc. admittedly that was whole shock/spring units, but even considering that, removing springs from shocks takes 5 minutes if you have the right tools.

changing tyres takes 30 seconds with the correct machine, and if you cant fit a wheel then you need to remove your own eyeballs with a rusty spoon.

:) ;) Jesus! Where'd you go for that quote! Is he a one arm'd chimp in a wheelchair? The suspension swap will take no more than an hour a side,tyres maybe half an hour at most! Tell him to sod off! I doubt even a ferrari dealer would charge that much!
yeah should only take about 2 hours for the springs. the tyres should take upto an hour,if there low profile. Tell him to ram it. Where you based? :)

South West London....not the cheapest of areas. All the quotes I'm getting are around that or much more!